Need help with bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronaar

Reaction score
hello I've been making bath bombs for the best few days but they just don't hold together am I doing something wrong with my recipe? please help, thanks in advance
100g citric acid
70g cornstrach
220g baking soda
100g epson salt
2tablespoons coconut oil
5drips essential oils

Bath bombs are so tricky and can vary depending on many factors (for me, humidity makes a huge difference!). Have you had success with this recipe before? Do you use anything else like witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to "wet" them?

I don't use cornstarch in my bath bombs. I do use melted cocoa butter, which makes very firm bath bombs.

Thanks for the info

Bath bombs are so tricky and can vary depending on many factors (for me, humidity makes a huge difference!). Have you had success with this recipe before? Do you use anything else like witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to "wet" them?
I've not have successful batches yet

I don't use cornstarch in my bath bombs. I do use melted cocoa butter, which makes very firm bath bombs.
Can I have ur recipe to tryout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, here it is. I got it from the book DIY Kitchen Chemistry.
1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
1/4 cup sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (if you want to leave this out, just use more baking soda and citric acid )
1/4 cup cream of tartar
1/2 cup melted deodorized coccoa butter
1 tsp. FO or EO

Mix all dry ingredients together. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. Combine wet ingredients and pour slowly into dry ingredients while still mixing. Press mixture into molds and put in freezer for 10-20 min. Remove from freezer and unmold. If you don't use the freezer, allow bath bombs to set in molds for 18-24 hours before unmolding.

Sure, here it is. I got it from the book DIY Kitchen Chemistry.
1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
1/4 cup sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (if you want to leave this out, just use more baking soda and citric acid )
1/4 cup cream of tartar
1/2 cup melted deodorized coccoa butter
1 tsp. FO or EO

Mix all dry ingredients together. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. Combine wet ingredients and pour slowly into dry ingredients while still mixing. Press mixture into molds and put in freezer for 10-20 min. Remove from freezer and unmold. If you don't use the freezer, allow bath bombs to set in molds for 18-24 hours before unmolding.
One last question __ i am in Florida and it is just HUMID all the time -- crazy humid. Any way to compensate for this?

One last question __ i am in Florida and it is just HUMID all the time -- crazy humid. Any way to compensate for this?
I would shrink wrap the bath bombs. You can also store the bath bombs in a room that has a room dehumidifier. My craft room is in a finished basement. Each room has a dehumidifier. It is hard to believe the amount of water they pull out of the atmosphere.

I also have a dehumidifier in my soap room. I have a meter on the wall which shows the humidity level in the room. I only make bath bomb when the humidity is low which is a struggle here in south east Georgia. I also try to wrap them in shrink wrap once they are hard. If I don’t, they will develop warts and get soft if left out.

My daughter and her family lived in Ellenwood GA for a few years and I know what you mean by high humidity.

Latest posts

Back