Need Help with a Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoahSilas

Reaction score
Here it is.....

24 oz canola
18 oz coconut oil
6 oz cocoa butter
6 oz castor oil
16 oz olive oil (pomace or pomace/olive blend is fine)
9.8 oz lye
21-23 oz water
Fragrance Oil or Essential Oil of choice

I need to know what I can substitute the cocoa butter for? I am having trouble finding it. Is there something I can add in its place? Thanks

another butter...... or what about sweet almond oil, peanut oil, flaxseed oil, just to name a few.

but running it through a calculator here are some numbers you should consider.

Hardness - 34 (not very hard)
Cleansing - 19 (ok)
Conditioning - 61 (ok)
Bubbly 19 - (not very bubbly)
Creamy - 15 (not very creamy)

you may want to tweak these numbers some and add a few ingredients to make a better bar of soap, unless this is what your looking for.

I got the recipe off of Millers Sight. Those numbers do not look so good hmmm. I am new to soap making. I have Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil and Castor oil. Can someone help me with a recipe? I could add another oil if I have to. What calc are you using that gives you those numbers?

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp

here is the link to the lye calculator I used.

Hardness 38
Cleansing 27
Conditioning 56
Bubbly 32

14% Canola Oil
40% Olive Oil
40% Coconut Oil
6% Castor Oil

If you wanted to add shortening (crisco) or lard it would help the hardness numbers some to get a harder bar of soap.

you can go to this link above, and change to grams or ounces, and enter in the number of ounces of oils you want your recipe to be then go over to the soap recipe, and enter the oils and the % for each oil and click to compute and it will give you the exact numbers for each ingredient based on your total amount of oils. And it will also give you the lye and liquid for your recipe as well.

Thank You.

Can I just add in my EOs in at trace? Hoe mush soap do you think that will make?

I would bump your coconut down to 20% and your Canola down to 15 and sub out lard or palm for those numbers.

The cocoa butter will make it pretty hard but adding palm or lard will make it even better.

Marr

yes just enter the amount of EO or FO that you want at the rate of per pound.

And enter the amount of oils you want total and it will compute it to whatever size you want it to be. It's all writeen in % so you can make a pound batch or an 8 pound batch. It's up to you.

Do you mean drop the Olive down? The Canola Oil is already down. Please feel free to respond. Thanks

How do I use the calculator?

My original recipe is written in ounces. How do I figure out how much palm to use. I came up with 43 % but that seems high.

Palm- 43%
Coconut- 20%
Olive-16%
Canola-15%
Castor-6%

23% water

Does that look right, or am I confused as to how to use the calculator?

These are my oils. I have Canola, Olive, Coconut and Castor. How do I figure out a good percentage of each. I can get some palm also. I am just looking for a base recipe. Any help for a newb is appreciated. I just want to make the best bar of soap I can with what I have.

recipe help

Joah, I use MMS lye calculator. I type in the amount of each ingred. in oz. and hit calculate...........it then tells me the amount of lye & water to use in oz. it also gives the percents of each oil/butters your listing. This way you know. I get confused myself with percentages :oops: I was/am math.....um...............challenged. :roll:

JoahSilas said:
These are my oils. I have Canola, Olive, Coconut and Castor. How do I figure out a good percentage of each. I can get some palm also. I am just looking for a base recipe. Any help for a newb is appreciated. I just want to make the best bar of soap I can with what I have.

Are you willing to add lard or crisco (shortening) to your recipe to get a better bar of soap from the other ingredients that you already have?

Latest posts

Back