Need help! Suffering from non-techitis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our 8 year old has been chosen by her school to give a presentation at a teacher's workshop at SDSU.
A faculty member at SDSU is providing a workshop on the new science standards. She chose bees as the topic of a week-long training and she was interested in showing how third graders can handle the content and engage in deep scientific inquiry :). Our girl was chosen because this project was life changing for her - she's become the local native bee expert and has started her own collection of about 36 bees. The whole 3rd grade did research in partnership with a bee researcher here in CA and their info has become part of science record in this county. Even the shyest student was so excited by this project that he was pulling parents into his booth during the science fair!

Anyway, she can't attend so her teacher asked if she would submit a video presentation. We have 2, maybe 3 days to get it done before dd does on trip to grandma's. I have never made a video, don't know how to send it to her teacher, or which device I should use to make video. I have an old uncooperative computer with a German camera/video program (You've noticed how rarely I post soap pictures? Because I can't do it unless I have a system that performs step perfectly from wiki instructions!) We have an iPad, Samsung tablet, and Elf cameras....which I can't promise will communicate with my computer.

Please advise! I'd hate for her to miss out on this chance to prove how capable 3rd graders are! Thank you!

Last edited:
That sounds really cool! Good luck! Wish I could help but I'm not tech-savvy either..

Our 8 year old has been chosen by her school to give a presentation at a teacher's workshop at SDSU.
A faculty member at SDSU is providing a workshop on the new science standards. She chose bees as the topic of a week-long training and she was interested in showing how third graders can handle the content and engage in deep scientific inquiry :). Our girl was chosen because this project was life changing for her - she's become the local native bee expert and has started her own collection of about 36 bees. The whole 3rd grade did research in partnership with a bee researcher here in CA and their info has become part of science record in this county. Even the shyest student was so excited by this project that he was pulling parents into his booth during the science fair!

Anyway, she can't attend so her teacher asked if she would submit a video presentation. We have 2, maybe 3 days to get it done before dd does on trip to grandma's. I have never made a video, don't know how to send it to her teacher, or which device I should use to make video. I have an old uncooperative computer with a German camera/video program (You've noticed how rarely I post soap pictures? Because I can't do it unless I have a system that performs step perfectly from wiki instructions!) We have an iPad, Samsung tablet, and Elf cameras....which I can't promise will communicate with my computer.

Please advise! I'd hate for her to miss out on this chance to prove how capable 3rd graders are! Thank you!
Does your Samsung tablet connect to internet? Does it have camera with video? I suggest opening it to see, and if yes, do a couple of short 15 second videos to see how it works. Then try sending as attachment to someone in your family via email.

Ask the teacher how she/he wants it submitted. That could determine how long the video can be, and if you have to upload it somewhere first. YouTube is easy to use and you can set up a free account and upload there. Then you could just send her the link if that is acceptable.

Samsung has some tutorials. Here is one for one model. [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0maRY3RvCds[/ame]
Google your model to find a tutorial to fit your situation.

It usually takes a little trial & error, but if you let the instructor know it will be your very first video ever, it will be okay.

Samsung tablet doesn't have service, and don't know how quickly I can get it added because I have an atypical service provider. It does take vids though.

L - I am as un-techy as it gets. If you trust the teacher, take the video on the tablet and give it to the teacher for a few days.

My samsung tablet connects to the internet via wi-fi. Is that an option for you? For sharing videos, I find email doesn't work-- the videos are too big to send. Instead, I use Drop Box. The basic membership is free and there's an app that can make it easier to upload your video. Once there, you can share it with the teacher. I have also used YouTube to share a video with someone.

Thank you everyone - I tried the Dropbox and YouTube suggestions and they were as easy as pie!

The hard part? First video was 12 minutes and she was only 2/3 done! No wonder the school chose her - that girl can communicate!

Going to try a do-over tomorrow and give her specific questions to answer to keep her time down.

Latest posts

Back