Need help on the cut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok you guys, the planer changed my life. But the router REALLY changed my life for the edges cause I suck at the usual potato peeler technique. Plus I can get pretty cool edging.

Just giving you all a xmas wish list LOL

Ok you guys, the planer changed my life. But the router REALLY changed my life for the edges cause I suck at the usual potato peeler technique. Plus I can get pretty cool edging.

Just giving you all a xmas wish list LOL
Ooohhh… which planer/router did you get? I got a crappy one on Amazon and it’s really just useless. 😩

@Nicolesica it depends on what is important to you. The first one I had was acrylic. I loved it because it took off a paper thin layer and was so easy to clean, but I dropped it and it broke. I got another acrylic one that I don't like as well from Custom Soap Stamps, but the Etsy shop is closed and it looks like the FB group has been inactive, so I suspect he isn't selling any more. That one removed a lot of soap from the bar so I don't know if I would have recommended it anyway.
If you don't mind taking care of a wood one and needing to replace the blade occasionally, This is one that is often recommended. This one from Lilu Soap Tools is probably the best out there, but it is very expensive.

@Nicolesica it depends on what is important to you. The first one I had was acrylic. I loved it because it took off a paper thin layer and was so easy to clean, but I dropped it and it broke. I got another acrylic one that I don't like as well from Custom Soap Stamps, but the Etsy shop is closed and it looks like the FB group has been inactive, so I suspect he isn't selling any more. That one removed a lot of soap from the bar so I don't know if I would have recommended it anyway.
If you don't mind taking care of a wood one and needing to replace the blade occasionally, This is one that is often recommended. This one from Lilu Soap Tools is probably the best out there, but it is very expensive.
Oooh thank you. Yes, I think I need to invest in a good planer and beveler. :::trying to think of the next upcoming holiday:::

So, I did some looking around and my favorite craftsman from Greece now has a beautiful planer/beveler for sale. I adore his work (attached are photos of the acrylic molds I saved up for and haven’t regretted one minute since). If anyone else is interested, here is a link to his Etsy Soap Trimmer - Etsy

Attachments

• BE75AB8E-0821-43A4-B814-B4FB5FCF8F5B.jpeg
    BE75AB8E-0821-43A4-B814-B4FB5FCF8F5B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • D16301BA-07DE-4031-B8BE-2C9E7E94F12C.jpeg
    D16301BA-07DE-4031-B8BE-2C9E7E94F12C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
So, I did some looking around and my favorite craftsman from Greece now has a beautiful planer/beveler for sale. I adore his work (attached are photos of the acrylic molds I saved up for and haven’t regretted one minute since). If anyone else is interested, here is a link to his Etsy Soap Trimmer - Etsy
That looks like an awesome beveler, but I don't think it will plane soaps. Maybe I'm missing something.

Wow, that is an awesome cutter. I guess if you adjusted the cut to be very thin, it could plane the soaps, too. I've done that sometimes with my Hercules, but it's not as easy or consistent as using a dedicated planer.

Back