Need help on the cut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolesica

Reaction score
So, here is my first attempt at a Taiwan swirl. This is the top and bottom portion. Now before I destroy it completely, I cut this long-ways (horizontally) first and then into bars (vertically), correct?

So, here is my first attempt at a Taiwan swirl. This is the top and bottom portion. Now before I destroy it completely, I cut this long-ways (horizontally) first and then into bars (vertically), correct?
The swirls aren’t that great as my homemade dividers were trying really hard to collapse. Next time I’ll make sure to use the proper dividers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Those are very pretty! It's one of the things I love about that swirl, as it is fairly forgiving and adaptable to the many things we do to it.

Your description of cutting is correct: one long horizontal cut to create two loaves that are each half as tall as the original. Then vertical cuts to create the size of bar you prefer. :)

Like this, correct?

And thank you. I’m not really happy with the colors. I placed it in the oven (lowest temp and then turned off) to try and force gel, but all I got was soda ash. Hopefully I’ll be able to steam some respectability back into them

Attachments

• B6515616-A537-40FF-8CE4-67B42A87C3B7.jpeg
    B6515616-A537-40FF-8CE4-67B42A87C3B7.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 0
  • A419A0AC-600A-4CDA-9E31-598D3F85E8E8.jpeg
    A419A0AC-600A-4CDA-9E31-598D3F85E8E8.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 0
This is lovely work. I like the color combo and the swirl. I attempted it once for one of this Forum's monthly challenges. I got so mixed up on the cut and ended up with only 4 bars! All. That. Work. For 4 bars. I could have used your photos! Welcome to the Forum.
Haha.. I actually saw that thread so made a very small batch and made sure I understood the cut.

And thank you for the welcome. So happy to be here :)

This is one of the techniques I am going to work on. I had so much fun with this 🤩

I have tried steaming ash off of soap. Imo it only comes back as it dries. I dont think it really goes away. The real magic happens if you plane them.
Well shoot. Steaming seemed like such an easy answer. If it comes back I’ll plane them, for sure. Thanks for the heads up

I have tried steaming ash off of soap. Imo it only comes back as it dries. I dont think it really goes away. The real magic happens if you plane them.

I’ve gotten it off using steam and a small paintbrush.

I used a small pot of boiling water and held a bar in the steam. When that didn’t seem to be doing much I got a cheap little brush from my kids’ art supplies and wiped off the ash (while still holding the bar in the steam).

I wouldn’t want to do it every time I made soap but I was trying to save some pretty swirls.

Well shoot. Steaming seemed like such an easy answer. If it comes back I’ll plane them, for sure. Thanks for the heads up

I made soaps for my son's wedding. They wanted each bar as a single color, 4 different colors total. Ash REALLY shows up on a
solid color bar. I steamed every one and it worked a treat. I did them in single cavity molds, then I stood them on end and steamed a
big batch at a time. I was amazed at how well it worked.

I made soaps for my son's wedding. They wanted each bar as a single color, 4 different colors total. Ash REALLY shows up on a
solid color bar. I steamed every one and it worked a treat. I did them in single cavity molds, then I stood them on end and steamed a
big batch at a time. I was amazed at how well it worked.
You get the Mom of the Year award!

Like this, correct?

And thank you. I’m not really happy with the colors. I placed it in the oven (lowest temp and then turned off) to try and force gel, but all I got was soda ash. Hopefully I’ll be able to steam some respectability back into them
Great looking soap! I would forgey after the 1st cut! Haven't been brave enough to try something like this............... going to have to save the photos!

Haha.. I actually saw that thread so made a very small batch and made sure I understood the cut.

And thank you for the welcome. So happy to be here :)

This is one of the techniques I am going to work on. I had so much fun with this 🤩
Well okay then since you prepared by reading the challenge thread, I'd be happy to take some credit in your success. ;)

Latest posts

Back