Need Help on Oil %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlinB

Reaction score
Hi, I need some guidance. I have been using a formula of about 30% Shea Butter, 30% Coconut Oil, 20% Palm Flakes, 10% olive oil, and 10% rice bran oil. I was reading a post where a person said Shea Butter should not be over 15%. Are there guidelines available on % oils? Is it a cost issue? Do you have a general % breakdown of oils you follow for hard soap, low material cost, and high quality? Paying close attention to your responses. Thanks! Bryan

Hello and welcome!

You certainly can use higher amounts of Shea. It would be cost prohibitive for someone who sells but for personal use some do. There are several posts on the forum on this subject. Just do a search and you’ll find some information. I’m on my IPad and can’t link.

I’d be more concerned with the amount os cleansing oils in your recipe. PKO and CO are both cleansing oils in soap. Your using 50% combined. That would strip most people’s skin depending on the SF you are using. The shea would off set it some but it’s still a really cleansing soap. I use shea at 10-15% personally.

@shunt2011 -- I think it's 20% palm in Olin's recipe, not 20% palm kernel? If so, 30% coconut alone would be too much for my preference, but some people would be okay with that, so it's within the realm of reason.

I usually don't go over 15% with my butters. If you are using palm kernel flakes and coconut oil together, I wouldn't go over 30% with that combination, maybe 25% palm 15% shea and the rest rice bran oil

It really is up to you... and how much cost you can absorb.

I tried a 50% Shea butter bar that I like. I also tried a 50% cocoa butter bar, that one I'm not a fan of.

Latest posts

Back