Need help on a blend!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap peeps, here was my plan for a soap -- make 3 mini-column molds to embed into a loaf mold. I have done only the 3 columns so far. For scent I used the Warm N Clean (Redux) » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator -- black pepper, tea tree, and cinnamon leaf. I don't like the smell -- tea tree alone makes me want to vomit, sorry to be graphic but I just can't handle it. I am wondering what to scent the remaining loaf batter -- which is twice the volume of the 3 columns put together -- that would tone down the tea tree/nursing home/antiseptic/gaggy smell. Whatcha got for me? And thank you.

+1 for lemongrass, maybe together with litsea cubeba, to push the blend towards citrus. Below this, a baritone of cedarwood, juniper or benzoin/peru balsam EO, or a blend of those.

Isn't cinnamon EO known for be nasty in soap?

black pepper, tea tree, and cinnamon leaf. I don't like the smell -- tea tree alone makes me want to vomit,
EO Calc Spearmilyptus - skip the tea tree. Just blend the eucalyptus & mints to create an herbal blend to complement the scent of the Clean & Clear blend.

TIP: Use Cinnamon bark EO instead of "leaf" for a better scent.
I make up a cinnamon/ clove blend to store on the shelf until needed. Use with a light touch in any blend you want to spice up.

Mix 1 part Clove Bud EO + 3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO then add 1 part of this to the blend.

FYI: The tea tree note WILL mellow out in time. :thumbup: 😉

but then I'm weird 😂
Heeey, don't say that. If I had to choose between tea tree and patchouli, I'd choose tea tree. Who's weird now? But I agree that one can definitely overdo lemongrass 😳. Maybe I just only had luck with the quality of my tea tree EO.

Stupid question, @Zing : Why did you choose tea tree in the first place, knowing you don't like it?

Heeey, don't say that. If I had to choose between tea tree and patchouli, I'd choose tea tree. Who's weird now? But I agree that one can definitely overdo lemongrass 😳. Maybe I just only had luck with the quality of my tea tree EO.

Stupid question, @Zing : Why did you choose tea tree in the first place, knowing you don't like it?
Not a stupid question. I'm making soap for my brother-in-law who has oily skin and has asked for ingredients that help with that. He's not a picky man but I just can't give him this in good conscience.

Thanks, all, I appreciate all the advice! I went with @Zany_in_CO 's suggestion and love it already! I know scent is so idiosyncratic but I just didn't want to chance giving away the originally planned scent (with apologies to tea tree lovers). My beloved sis and BIL are fluent in "Minnesota Nice" so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Now that all is too late, I can report back my findings. Yes, I tested my EO blend suggestion ONLY FOR YOU. 3 drops of tea tree + 2 drops of lemon tea tree (very similar to lemongrass), plus 2 drops litsea cubeba & 1 drop of juniper. Not a split second there was any trace of tea tree noticeable. Even a bit too much of the litsea (but on a benefit, it kept the juniper at bay, and it didn't smell like I'm showering with gin). Surprisingly, now a few hours later, there is a faint smell of the lemon tea tree left in the bathroom. But, like said, some 40% ordinary tea tree in there but invisible to the nose.

As a side note: LS, litsea-ish & citrus flavoured, and coloured with red palm, is a combo I'll have to remember.

Now that all is too late, I can report back my findings. Yes, I tested my EO blend suggestion ONLY FOR YOU. 3 drops of tea tree + 2 drops of lemon tea tree (very similar to lemongrass), plus 2 drops litsea cubeba & 1 drop of juniper. Not a split second there was any trace of tea tree noticeable. Even a bit too much of the litsea (but on a benefit, it kept the juniper at bay, and it didn't smell like I'm showering with gin). Surprisingly, now a few hours later, there is a faint smell of the lemon tea tree left in the bathroom. But, like said, some 40% ordinary tea tree in there but invisible to the nose.

As a side note: LS, litsea-ish & citrus flavoured, and coloured with red palm, is a combo I'll have to remember.
I love litsea. Also, a little bit -- like 5% of red palm goes a long way.

Back