Need help from a chemist/cosmetologist choosing a body and a face cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moh18

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to buy a body and a face cream for my girlfriend but I need help finding, which one is the best (best formulation), which I cannot determine as a mathematics student :D

She is currently using Lush products but I have discovered four local enterprises that make skin care product and prices are quite similar. Could you help me please?

As a woman, I would say you should buy her what she likes. If she likes Lush, then buy her Lush.
I agree with this statement. Unless you know all of her skin's preferences, as well as what scents she goes for, stick to Lush. If she has shown some interest in those products, you're still better off treating her to what she chooses.

I agree with Artemis.

everyone’s skin is a bit different so if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If you read around the forum you’ll find one person’s favorite recipe doesn’t work for the next person.

A good example is glycerin. Glycerin is often added to help add moisture to the skin. Scientifically glycerin draws moisture from the air and the skin absorbs it. Some people in the desert don’t add extra glycerin to recipes. If there’s no moisture in the air the glycerin draws moisture from the skin.

another example is Castile soap. A Castile soap is 100% olive oil and considered one of the most traditional recipes a soaper can make. Often Castile soap is recommended as one of the mildest soaps for people with skin conditions. Olive oil bothers me when it’s over 30% of a recipe. I avoid Castile soaps if I can and probably wouldn’t appreciate it enough if I was gifted a bar.

if you want to surprise your girlfriend maybe try a different product from the same brand or a different scent in a product she already uses. But I’ll again say: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it (but if she mentions something make sure to listen)

Another thing I'll add that local businesses do not always produce better or even safe products. I've been in my local "whole foods" type grocery and found beautifully packaged and rather expensive creams and lotions made without a proper emulsifier and without any preservative.

I echo the others. This kind of gift is not one where you should get creative. Stick with what your GF likes. Many people are particular about the smell and skin feel of the products they use, especially on their face.

If you want to interest her in other options, buy one or two small containers -- trial sizes or even sample packets if available -- so she can try them out.

Latest posts

Back