Need help for liquid goat milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSoly

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to forum. We have a heard of goats (as well as other animals), we have 25 goats and have reciently started making bar and attempting liquid soap. We have been only milking one goat who lost her kid a few days after birth and was having troubles with her udder.

I found a recipe and it was keeps putting a milky cream at the top of the soap when diluted. It doesn't smell or feel bad. I would really like the recipe to work and would like any help.
the orginal recipe was:
7.2 oz. coconut oil
3.6 oz. sustainable palm oil
1.2 oz. grapeseed oil
While your oils are melting, mix 4.6 oz. of very cold to slightly slushy goat milk with 2.6 oz. of KOH.

I ran it through a calculator and raised the KOH to 2.83
The problem is most calculators either don't have goats milk in their listing and if they do they only have powdered goats milk not liquid goats milk.
Thank you for help. I look forward to learning and reading lots.

Goat milk was used as an additive in soaps, not one of the base oils, that's why you don't see them in soap calculators.
I don't use milk in my LS as I mostly just make dish soap with LS. However, I'd be a little wary to add any milk, fresh or powder, into liquid soaps. Unlike solid soaps, liquid soap will be diluted with more liquids and milk could go bad in the process.

If you used the weight of the milk as a "fat" in a soap calculator, the soap would be VERY lye heavy. Milk is mostly whey, not fat, and that's why it's not listed in the recipe calcs.

You have to calculate and use the weight of the pure fat in the milk and use that instead for calculating your recipe. This IS listed in the calcs as butterfat or milkfat. Even when I've used butter in my soap, I calculate the pure fat content of the butter for use in the recipe calculations, because even butter, while very high in fat, isn't 100% fat.

Using the fats you listed, assuming KOH at 90% purity, and using 2% superfat, you'd need about 3 ounces of KOH. That doesn't include the butterfat in the milk. I have no idea what the butterfat content is -- you'll have to do some work to figure that out.

The floating material is a layer of fat or fatty acid. This is telling you your superfat is too high for liquid soap. Including the milkfat in the calculations would help.

I also hope you're not adding any acids to "neutralize" the soap, because it obviously doesn't need neutralization.

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it. I would really like to try to make this to work because there are so many healthy benefits in goats milk. I have tried another batch with the KOH increased just a little. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back