Need help figuring out volume of mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeny

Reaction score
I purchased the silicone mold from bramble berry that has 12 round 3x1" the volume is 48 oz, according to the description from bramble berry. Each circle holds 4 oz.

Please let me know if I calculated this correctly. I want to find out how much I need for my recipe which i think is calculated on the weight of the oils.
Here is the info from the Internet

2. Round or Tube Molds

For round or tube molds, you calculate the volume a little differently. You multiply pi by the radius of the circle squared - and multiply that by the height of the mold.

It's not as hard as it sounds. The radius is 1/2 of the total width of the tube. For a 3" tube, the radius is going to be 1.5". "Squared" = the number times itself - so 1.5 X 1.5 or 2.25.

Pi is generally calculated at 3.14.

So...for a 3" PVC tube mold that is 6" high, the calculation is:

3.14 X 1.5 X 1.5 X 6

Pi X radius X radius X height

That calculation will give you the volume, which you then multiply by .40 to get the amount of oils needed.

3.14 X 1.5 X 1.5 X 6 X .40 = 16.96 ounces of oils.

Then using the percentages in your recipe, calculate the individual oils.

So according to the info above:
Pi x radius x radius x height
My mold has 12 circles that are 3x1".

So...
3.14 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1 x.40 = 2.826
2.826x 12 ( circles) = 33.9

I am doing this correctly?

Well Im not sure what all the circle stuff is. Not sure if I get what you are doing there or not. But everything up to the "3.14 X 1.5 X 1.5 X 6 X .40 = 16.96 ounces of oils." part is correct. Good job. :)

Well Im not sure what all the circle stuff is. Not sure if I get what you are doing there or not. But everything up to the "3.14 X 1.5 X 1.5 X 6 X .40 = 16.96 ounces of oils." part is correct. Good job. :)

So each circle holds 2.826 oz there are 12 circles in the mold. So I would have 33.9 oz of oils. Correct
When I use the soap calc I am calculating the amount of oils right??

Yes, you calculated right. You could have just used 3.14 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 12 x .40 and it would have given you the same since you had 12 1" which equals 12". BUT you also have to keep in mind any of the extras that you add to your batch that may add a tad more volume.

Latest posts

Back