Need guidence about starting soap making class

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umeali

Reaction score
Hello alll respected members here ,
I am from south asia and want to conduct a soap making classes in my city ,which is not a common practice here ..only 3 or 4 four soap makers are there in my city .I need a complete guide that how to start ?what notes should I provide ?what should be taught in a complete master course ?plz do guide me ......
THANKS IN ADVANCE.....

I need a complete guide that how to start ?what notes should I provide ?what should be taught in a complete master course ?

IMHO, if you need a 'complete guide' then you aren't ready to teach much less teach a 'complete master course'. Of course, it could just be a language barrier so my advice is similar to @lsg , start at the beginning.

I have taught loom knitting classes (like needled knitting, but on a frame instead of needles) and the first thing you need is a Plan...an Outline of what you are going to teach. Are you planning on teaching folks who have never made soap before or are you planning a series of courses? Will you be providing the basic equipment or will your students? Will you have equipment available to purchase in case they forget something or will you tell them they can't participate? Since I teach class in a yarn shop, it's not an issue if someone forgets something because they can just purchase or I always carry extra stitch markets or loom tools, but in soap making, the set up is going to be different unless I am teaching the class out of my studio/shop. I might have extra eye protection and gloves available, but I can't carry extra clothes and shoes. So if you come to class in a tank top, shorts and sandals, you will NOT be making soap.

In the soap class I took several years ago, it was a Community Class offered by the local Community College; it was a single class of 3 hours taught at a local community center that had two stoves. We were required to bring our own equipment (we were given a list) and the ingredients were provided and a part of the cost of the class. To be honest, it was less a 'class' and more of "let's get a bunch of folks together and make soap" as there was very little in the way of actual instruction on 'soap making'.

My loom knitting classes are three-day classes (three consecutive Saturdays) of two hours each with a maximum of six students. If I were teaching a beginning soap making class, I would do a minimum of two, three hour classes back-to-back with four to six students depending on where I was teaching it. I would prefer three, three hour classes with the first day being nothing but imparting information about the soap making process, but it's doubtful it would work.

You're going to want a simple, small batch recipe...three, maybe four ingredients that can be purchased locally. No scent, no color; save that for the next in your series of classes. And the reason I would offer back-to-back days is so my students can leave their soap to properly saponify for 18 to 24 hours and to illustrate that point, I would make up a few batches that will have less time to show the class the difference that time can make. Then everyone gets to unmold their soaps and cut their soaps into bars and you talk about 'curing' time and you have several sample bars with different curing time to illustrate the process and the benefits thereof. Then you can do your sales pitch for your next class.

Oh...and you are going to need a Liability Waiver and quite possibly insurance. Even my loom knitting class requires a Waiver just in case someone stabs themselves with their loom tool.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you have to ask this question, perhaps you're not ready to teach it. I've looked at your previous posting history and did not see much in the way of you helping or giving advice so I have no idea your experience. You've only come here to ask questions then leave till the next time. It needs to be as detailed as possible and you need good insurance to cover you.

I think you have to give to a community to get back from a community. As Shunt said you come, want answers, then leave again. It doesn't work like that. All you want is business information, to make money.

I think you have to give to a community to get back from a community. As Shunt said you come, want answers, then leave again. It doesn't work like that. All you want is business information, to make money.
No its a free class as I am anayurvedic practitioner and teach in a charity school .

I don't mean to sound mean but if you have to ask this question, perhaps you're not ready to teach it. I've looked at your previous posting history and did not see much in the way of you helping or giving advice so I have no idea your experience. You've only come here to ask questions then leave till the next time. It needs to be as detailed as possible and you need good insurance to cover you.
you are right as I am not into more soap making but its my hobby and I use to make to give my passion a comfort as I am a volunteer teacher and ayurvedic practitioner,these classes would be totally free for people who come in our free school along with teaching we add a skill or craft ...every thing is totally free . Icant reply to others as i am not familiar with all ingredients here in my country and people here not only are experienced but have approach to all ingredients of best quality ,its a new concept in our country .So I am here to learn

Last edited by a moderator:
you are right as I am not into more soap making but its my hobby and I use to make to give my passion a comfort as I am a volunteer teacher and ayurvedic practitioner,these classes would be totally free for people who come in our free school along with teaching we add a skill or craft ...every thing is totally free . Icant reply to others as i am not familiar with all ingredients here in my country and people here not only are experienced but have approach to all ingredients of best quality ,its a new concept in our country .So I am here to learn

It still comes down to where you need to know what you are doing before you can teach it. Then your knowledge and share it.

Back