Need Guidance for a Extra hard soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephera

Reaction score
Can I please have Guidance for a recipe for the hardest Soap with short cure time. Then I need to add alot of essential oils to it for a therapeutic bar. I don't want the EO to sponify.

Should a bother with a recipe or just get melt and pour and add EO.

I have made soap in the past and no matter what I do it melts and is slimy mess when I use it.

The soap you have made in the past, was it high in Olive Oil? That would make for a slimy soap.

Can you define what you mean by "short cure time"?

My 100% olive oil was slimy and went soft after long use.

I like to be able to use it without waiting long time for cure. I don't want EO I put in destroyed by heat and sponification.

First of all, all soaps that will be used on body or face need a minimum 4 weeks of curing, I personally do 6 weeks at least. Most soaps can benefit from a longer cure time. For my facial soaps and salt bars I will cure them for 3 months. If by short cure time you mean less than 4-6 weeks than you'd be better looking into MP soap or syndet bars.

You said that you will use a lot of essential oil in the soap to make it therapeutic. But please be aware that all essential oils have a safety range. Adding too much could be bad for you instead being beneficial.

No matter what recipe you use the essential oil you used will always be somewhat damaged by the lye, no way to avoid that as long as you are using lye. Lighter EOs like citrus will pretty much disappear to nothing after a long cure from my experience.

With these questions out of the way, if you want a harder bar, you need to add hard oils/butters to your recipe to make a harder bar such as lard, palm, tallow, cocoa butter, shea butter, etc. 100% olive will need months, or even years' cure to make it hard since olive is a soft oil.
I understand that you want to use your soap as soon as possible but curing soaps longer can also make them harder. You can try use a water discount when soaping. Using less water can make finished soap harder.
Adding additives can also help. Sodium lactate won't make soap harder than it should be but it can make unmolding easier. Adding sugar or sorbitol can help lather. Adding salt can make bars harder, etc.

Last edited:
All of what @Anstarx said. Essential oils won't saponify, but the therapeutic benefits may be lost. You absolutely need to check the usage rates for each essential oil.

When you use your soap, are you keeping it on a draining soap mat or soap dish that allows it to dry between uses? Not doing that will leave your soap sitting in water, which will cause a slimy mess.

I totally agree with all the above suggestions for a harder bar.

These are some good websites to help you figure out how much EO is safe to use in soap.
Article
Eocalc
Packaging your soaps well after the initial 4-6 weeks cure can help maintain the scent from EO's. Make sure your bars aren't exposed to too much airflow after this initial cure time (during the first few weeks you need airflow to help the soap loose water and harden out).
In my experience, adding EO's after HP cook will help preserve the fresh notes in citrussy EO's (although they will fade eventually).
I also have the idea that using less water in a recipe helps with scent retention. It seems to work for lavandin which I tested in March in high and low water soaps and I'm starting to smell a difference (as well as my boyfriend, so it's not just my bias😛). But I'd like to investigate a bit more..

EOs don't have fatty acid chains, so they don't saponify. That doesn't mean that the EOs are safe from the lye, however. As the lye has unpredictable effects on the "therapeutic" effects of the EOs. Better to assume that all EOs are just for scent rather than "therapeutic" effects. If one wants "therapeutic" affects, one should use MP and add those EOs.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. I may just go with MP for now it is $16 per kg here. I want to make a Anti bacterial Viral soap with anti viral and bacterial EO added.

Thank you for your responses. I may just go with MP for now it is $16 per kg here. I want to make a Anti bacterial Viral soap with anti viral and bacterial EO added.

I'm not sure where you're from but you may want to look into the legal end of making something like that. Also, all soap is anti-bacterial for the most part. Remember it's on the skin for 20 seconds or less so not going to do much else.

As soap is an alkaline it’s naturally antibacterial as bacteria can’t live on skin that is higher than 9 on the scale. Yes you’re acid mantle changes back to it’s normal PH within a few hours but you could pick up bacteria by then anyway, I’m always washing my hands...now that I have a hundred bars lying around! My father in law asked me when I gave him some soap if it had antibacterial “stuff” in it as he’s obsessed with germ killing stuff. Even washing with soap and water kills viruses according to the world health organisation and that’s what everyone has been advised to do since COVID. I might be wrong but I’m sure I read an article on the science of washing hands with soap and water killing bacteria and viruses

I might be wrong but I’m sure I read an article on the science of washing hands with soap and water killing bacteria and viruses
Not sure about articles, etc., but in history books you can read how Poland basically eradicated the Black Plague just by being hygienic and washing themselves.

Not sure about articles, etc., but in history books you can read how Poland basically eradicated the Black Plague just by being hygienic and washing themselves.
Yeah makes you wonder how much hand and body washing is going on today, even with a viral pandemic going on😷

Yeah makes you wonder how much hand and body washing is going on today, even with a viral pandemic going on😷
Pretty sad this day and age you have to actually lecture people to clean themselves.
I mean, I understand in places where it is hard and you can't but if you have internet, you can wash your dang hands!!

I read that viruses are composed of Rna (the genetic material) and protein with a lipid outer layer. The hydrophobic end of the soap molecules attach to the lipid structure of the virus and dissolve it, so the virus falls apart and can't replicate. I don't know if this is a correct explanation - but the virus is certainly washed off the hands and I'd like to think it's destroyed as well.

Soap (or a synthetic detergent cleanser) really does contribute to the control of the coronavirus that causes the covid disease (and similar viruses). Mishmish is right -- the use of soap breaks down the lipid outer coating on the viral particle and inactivates the virus.

Soap + good handwashing technique is better for destroying and removing this particular virus than good handwashing without soap.

There are other viruses and microbes that are not as affected by soap as the coronavirus is.

Latest posts

Back