Need green coloring from local store - what's usually available?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I need to make some green soap ASAP (like today if possible) and need coloring. I've tried dried parsley and it didn't work as hoped (turned brown after a couple days) so I am hoping that there may be something else that may be possible.

Can anyone suggest something that may be available at local stores? there is a local farmers market that may be an option as well.

I need to make some green soap ASAP (like today if possible) and need coloring. I've tried dried parsley and it didn't work as hoped (turned brown after a couple days) so I am hoping that there may be something else that may be possible.

Can anyone suggest something that may be available at local stores? there is a local farmers market that may be an option as well.

Rose I used dried parsley in one of mine and it's still a lovely green. I put mine in the coffee grinder and ran it until it was dang near air it was so fine, then mixed that with a small portion of the batter to incorporate it, then added that portion to the larger batchlet and whisked it in until thoroughly blended. It gave me a pretty green that didn't turn brown.

A concentrated food color would give you green with just few drops. I don't remember which one was it that I used but it came in the Wilton cake designing set.

ETA: I remember Gigi's autumn soap where she used natural colors. It's definitely been more than 6wks since she made it, so if it's still green that's a great thing. In case you couldn't find the dried parsley, you can go with the food color and I'm sure more suggestions are on the way.

Last edited:
I have a lb of fresh parsley I just picked and am wondering if it will be different to use it fresh. Maybe blend it with a bit of water to help extract the color then strain?

Can you find Spirulina at your local health food store? Fresh parsley is not going to do much How about some deep green Pomace or green Avocado oil? At least you would get a green tint. Food coloring is tricky but it may work. I would not advise trying blue and yellow food coloring, since blue 1 will go purple with the ph.

I have to thank you guys for recommending parsley again! This second batch with fresh parsley worked very well! It was still wet as it was picked a day or so ago, so I put it in the microwave and it dried right out. A few seconds in the coffee grinder and this is what I got: The darker is dried store bought that was a fresh container (although who knows how old it really was).

I used about 2 tsp's for 2.35kg of oil, so that is a pretty small amount of coloring to get what I did. Thanks again for the suggestion!

parsley3.jpg

parsley1.jpg

parsley2.jpg

So here is the final color I got from the parsley:

strawkiwi1.jpg

strawkiwi2.jpg

Back