• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need Glycerine for soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eaks77

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently producing a large amount of glycerine as a bi-product of bio-diesel. I was going to turn this into soap myself but I haven't found the time and most likely wont for quite some time. If anyone is interested in the glycerine for soap making within the Calgary, AB area, please contact me. Or, if anyone knows of somewhere I could take this to get it made into soap?

Thanks!

Hi there! I live north of Lethbridge on a farm and my husband has been talking and talking about making biodiesel...what do you make it out of? Are there places in Alberta to get all the supplies from? I'd love any info you might have on it.

Also, is your glycerin ready for soapmaking or is there anything that needs to be done to purify it? I might be interested in trying it just to see what's involved. I've heard from another thread that it's an amazing soap.

Thanks!
kelly

To make BioDiesel you need above all, oil that has no water in it. If any significant quantity of water is present, it will saponify.

You also need methanol (aka methyl alcohol) and either lye (NaOH) or potash (KOH). Using NaOH will allow you to make bar soap from the glycerin, KOH will only be good for liquid soap.

You also need some basic chemistry to be able to do a titration. This helps you calculate how acidic the oil is from being used and therefore how much lye you will need to process it.

You will need a processor, or a device capable of heating the oil, mixing the chemistry and draining the glycerin/biodiesel.

Finally you need a way to wash and dry the processed fuel. This is typically done in a open top 55 gallon drum with a misting nozzle (to wash) and a heating element and a pump to dry.

It does take some work to get it all setup but day to day operations aren't too hard. Total setup cost a few hundred bucks.

AM in the Central Florida area and also have a large amount of G too. I have lye for sale too in 50 lb bag for 54.00

My email is hiregun@ yahoo.com

Thanks
sandy B

Latest posts

Back