Need Assistance w/bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrenfam

Reaction score
hello -

The first time I made bath bombs, I only used FO and 91% alcohol to bind the ingredients. 12 hours later, they came out of the metal molds perfectly, except for one that crumbled. Yesterday I made bath bombs and I used 30g of shea butter to bind 8 oz baking soda, 1 oz cornstarch, 4 oz citric acid, 3% FO, and 91% alcohol. I tapped the mold and opened half of the mold (perfectly in all cases) as soon as we molded them so that they could dry easier. We left the other half of the mold on to give some protection to the bath bombs. One cracked when I moved the tray after 2 hours. Then I tried to remove them after 18 hours, and half of them crumbled or split along the lines where we packed in the powder.

I know this is only the 2nd time I’ve made them, but I don’t like wasting supplies and I really hate it when I follow instructions wrong. So if adding 1oz of shea butter keeps them wet longer, how long do I leave them in the half mold to dry out? Am I supposed to take both sides of the mold off as soon as they are made? Am I using too much oil?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Further back there are a TON of posts about how others do this better.
I don't make them but tried so I know there is a post about that too.
Search Bombs under this section and you will see all of them.
Tons of great info on there, you just have to look for it

Latest posts

Back