Need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivanstein

Reaction score
I have made several batches of shave soap. All hot process. All about 50% stearic acid and various other oils depending g on my mood.

When I put them in the container and they cool, it is common to see a thicker whiter surface that is wrinkled instead of the creamy soap underneath.

Any ideas on what causes this and how to avoid it?

faee1103834e20421eba9dbd11d9b1bf.jpg

0923d0857e9dbf6523a1b2b813514909.jpg

How long do you leave the soap uncovered? Can you just stir the solid part into the rest of the soap and then cover it to make sure the top doesn't dry out?

It happens about as fast as it cools down. I usually scrape it off and use the top part for other stuff. The rest doesn't seem to dry out.

Is this possibly soda ash?

I've worked with high stearic % on my HP shaving soaps, and I know it likes to seize up quickly, so make sure you are really blending everything well (do you use a stick blender?). I would suggest you increase your water (aka decrease Lye concentration) so it pours smoother after the cook. It could be as simple as you are pouring it too thick.

It doesn't look like soda ash though. what is your recipe?

This one was 50% stearic, 40% lard, 5% castor, 2% each lanolin and cocoa butter, and 1% jojoba.

The lanolin, butter and jojoba are added after the cook as superfat.

I used 33% lye, should I use more?

Here it is after the cook and still in the crock pot:

95a9753f06992c98979026afe904920c.jpg

Yes, try 25% lye concentration next time. I bet that will help quite a bit.

Back