need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micody

Reaction score
hello everyone. im planning to do my first CP hearbal soap (actually not my first batch, but this time im gonna do it the proper way. ) please advice me on the ingredients that i should be using and where to buy. (prefferably a reliable online store)

my first question is what difference does those vegtable oils and butters do to the skin or it is just for the lather and how about the EO does it really affect the skin.

please advice where to buy online for the EO. there are chemical shop here in the philippines who sells EO but i doubt if its really EO because it was listed under fragrance listing. i like to do a real herbal soap that can help soften and relax the skin if posible

Mico :D

What a great list of eo's! It not only tells you what it comes from, but what it's fragrance is and compatibilities. I recently bought a peppermint eo, tried it out on wilted potpourri, and 2 days later, the scent was gone. I don't know if this is normal, or a bad grade of eo. Oh... well...live and learn... :(

Irena wont it help even a little bit? then why do they mix many types of fats and oils in one batch what is the purpose of using different types of base oil and mixing different EO in a soap, is it just for the smell? :?

Good point micody. Different oils do effect the skin differently. If they didn't everyone would make their soap from crisco & call it a day :wink: . I am not the CP expert so I hesitate to offer to much advise on this topic.

micody said:
Irena wont it help even a little bit? then why do they mix many types of fats and oils in one batch what is the purpose of using different types of base oil and mixing different EO in a soap, is it just for the smell? :?

It might help a little bit, but I think you are still better off with a good moisturizer afterward.
The purpose of fats and oils is to create a recipe that will not dry your skin out.

Irena

Moisturizing

Actually, I don't want a soap to "moisturize" my skin. I want it to clean my skin, without stripping it. I apply lotions, after cleansing, to add moisture/conditioning benefits.

Re: Moisturizing

NEASoapWorks said:
Actually, I don't want a soap to "moisturize" my skin. I want it to clean my skin, without stripping it. I apply lotions, after cleansing, to add moisture/conditioning benefits.

You're absolutely correct Shannan. The purpose of soap is simply to clean. You can't clean and moisturize at the same time. Like you said, soap can at best help supply some added oils (the lye discount) to your skin when washing it with soap. Moisturizing, adding water too the skin or through the natural glycerin drawing it to the skin, which is the point of glycerin, is at best all a good homemade CP soap can accomplish. Nothing more, nothing less. We strive to do this by a synergy of various oils, butters, or fats. Leaving a bit of unsaponificated oils, butters, fats in the soap after making it brings a bit of conditioning while cleaning the skin, but, alas, no moisture, per se. This topic comes up several times per year at various forums.

Paul... :wink:

thanks a lot guys for pointing me to the right direction. im asking this because after a bath i always notice that my skin are dry. even though i used a soap that say has a certain percentage of moisturizer in it. :)

Latest posts

Back