Need Advice Regarding Waterproof Labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use neato waterproof labels, and it has worked with my inkjet printer. I only used them in lotion bottles or spray bottles though, and I have to cut them to size. My packaged soap does not usually get wet, so I do not need it for that. I suppose if I did outdoor shows where it would get exposed to the elements then I would have to use that too, it is kind of pricey. ($14 for 10 pages last I check). Probably buying them in bulk would be better.

I use waterproof labels from onlinelabels, with a Canon inkjet printer. They aren't fully waterproof - it's actually kind of weird. I use a light gray graphic (shiplap boards) for my label background with black text. The background disappears after it gets wet a few times, but the text stays intact, although it does blur a bit - but it doesn't run or smear. I use the labels on my sugar scrub (or I did before I invested in vinyl labels from printrunner) but still use on my face scrub. Our jars live in the shower, the face scrub has been in there for a year, so it's constantly getting wet with 3 of us using that shower daily. I figure the text is going to wash off as much as it is going to at this point, and it's still legible.

I started putting the label on first and then the shrink wrap; no smear of the inkjet print that way. My labels are printed on printer paper and not sticky labels, so I think it tends to set into the paper better anyway.

There are also sprays to 'set' the ink, but not sure if I'd like that option myself and I've never tried it so I don't really know how well it works.

If your labels are no more than 2” on one side, you could consider a thermal printer. Brother has a Zink model I’ve been looking at. I have an HP 255 - great printer, toner is expensive but lasts forever (like 2k-3k pages per cartridge for the X) an an HP 7525. I also use to run a continuous ink system in my one Epson. I have an ecotank for my other business that runs different ink but I’m going to get another one I think to replace the 7525 - ink is just so expensive!

I also use labels from online labels but I use Kraft and a mix of the laser and inkjet and I’ve never noticed running.

I use Kraft labels from Online Labels and then stick a clear glossy label on top to make them waterproof. I have been thinking about buying a laser printer, I find the print with the inkjet is not as crisp.

I am def not an expert, I tend to just read as many reviews as I can and then pick the best / cheapest option. This is what I have. Brother HL-L3270CDW Laser Review
this was a couple years ago (I think?) so there are probably other options now. Inkjet printers are cheap, much cheaper than this, but they rope you in so you have to keep buying those dastardly cartridges. I think I paid $250.
I have the same one!

Latest posts

Back