Need a recipe for the kit I got from The Soap Kitchen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassie-May

Reaction score
Hiya!

I got a soap making kit the Christmas before last, and I'm just getting around to using it(!).

The kit is from The Soap Kitchen and contains:

500g DLS
500g Palm oil kernel
500g Sodium Hydroxide
500ml Olive oil
Ginger oil
Whiskey fragrance
Green GTSC
Yellow insoluble

I have scoured their website and theinternet at large and can't find a single recipe using the first few basic ingredients.
If anyone has one or any advice, please let me know. I've never made soap before!

Thanks,

Cassie

If you go to the natural soap making kits section on their website there is a link to the video instructions. As it's a kit, you need all of the ingredients provided to make one soap recipe. You will need to check the use by dates now though. Read all of the safety information first as lye (sodium hydroxide) is dangerous. For the future, there is also a beginners section here which provides good basic recipes and tips on how to use a soap calculator:thumbs:.

Last edited:
Okay, maybe I'm not totally awake yet, What is DLS?

Here's some info I found online:

'INCI: Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
DLS Mild, also known as Stepan-Mild SL3-BA is a 30% active, biodegradable liquid surfactant. This mild cleansing agent is often found in bubble bath, shampoos, liquid hand soaps, etc. as the primary surfactant.'

Here's some info I found online:

'INCI: Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
DLS Mild, also known as Stepan-Mild SL3-BA is a 30% active, biodegradable liquid surfactant. This mild cleansing agent is often found in bubble bath, shampoos, liquid hand soaps, etc. as the primary surfactant.'

Okay, interesting. I don't add surfactants to my soap. CP soap if well formulated will lather nicely without it added and doesn't need it. Sorry, can't help with your question since I've not used it to know how it works in CP soap.

If you go to the natural soap making kits section on their website there is a link to the video instructions. As it's a kit, you need all of the ingredients provided to make one soap recipe. You will need to check the use by dates now though. Read all of the safety information first as lye (sodium hydroxide) is dangerous. For the future, there is also a beginners section here which provides good basic recipes and tips on how to use a soap calculator:thumbs:.

Hi, thank you for commenting. I have looked (and checked again now) on the website but the closest recipe they seem to have is this which doesn't include DSL. I guess I could just use this recipe without it but it seems a shame not to use it.

https://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/recipe-soap-natural/

Thanks again though for your help!

Okay, interesting. I don't add surfactants to my soap. CP soap if well formulated will lather nicely without it added and doesn't need it. Sorry, can't help with your question since I've not used it to know how it works in CP soap.

Okay, that helps. I've found a recipe which matches mine just about if I remove the DSL. Seems a shame to waste it but maybe I'll figure something out. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found Soap Kitchen very helpful. Why don't you drop them an e-mail and see if they can point you in the right direction. They normally have basic recipes available on their website for all sorts of things. This may be a specific recipe for a kit they don't sell any more, which might be why you can't find the info.

I have found Soap Kitchen very helpful. Why don't you drop them an e-mail and see if they can point you in the right direction. They normally have basic recipes available on their website for all sorts of things. This may be a specific recipe for a kit they don't sell any more, which might be why you can't find the info.

I have messaged them now and received a response to say that they can't find any recipe on their system that matches this kit! It must be simply too old. I don't blame them.

If DSL is the ingredient I'm thinking it might be, it might be worth looking at Swift Crafty Monkey's blog for information. Susan might have worked with it.

Back