need a new scale any suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjulesdid

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using a scale that was given to me, but it does not weigh very much and I want to start making larger batches now so I'd like to get a scale that can weigh more.

Any suggestions?

if you can afford one, see if you can get a big triple beam balance, theyre pretty much the most reliable/accurate and you never have to replace batteries!

aside from that, I dont think i can reccomend any electric scales as the one im usiing is only rated for 5lbs... ive heard members reccomend you use one rated for 20-30 at least, and because im a science guy, I like to make sure its accurate so i like when they have measurements read to the 100th ( xxx.xx) or even better xxx.xxx) this way its super accurate!

hope that helped a bit?? usually what i do when im making a purchase i need to last a while is go on those consumer review sites and see which one is rated the best...method hasnt failed me yet!!

Missjulesdid:

here is one i've been looking at, It's also one of the best priced.

kd7000svani200.gif

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=264

Yup that is the one I use and love. 8) I bought mine from "Ole Will Knot" in Oklahoma too! Buy it you will love it! :)

Paul

i just bought that same scale; it arrived three days ago. i tested it out and, without exception (light, heavy, doesn't matter) when i remove the object from the scale, it does not return to zero - it still registers several grams, as though the platform were "stuck" and not coming back up all the way.

has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it just my particular scale? or maybe that's normal for cheap-o kitchen scales? (my day job is in a lab, and i'm used to very expensive analytical balances... maybe i'm expecting too much from this thing?)

arjay-- do you have any radios/cellphones around the scale?? i know the waves will mess the reading up...or is it level (i assume it would be since your used to working with analytical balances)...wish i could find a triple beam that was cheap... no batteries to replace, very accurate...less likely to break and have to be replaced... :)

To me the most important thing is to have one that uses an AC adapter and doesn't automatically turn off after a certain time. I like Mars Scales. I have two - one for soap and heavier stuff and one for tiny things like preservatives.

I have two scales...

the first one I bought to weigh food, actually, and it's great b/c it has a full nutritional content program in it... it was about $30 at Target... it weighs to 1/100 oz and in grams it has a 7 lb capacity, I think. I also have a second scale from target that is 11 lb capacity and weighs in oz (1/10th) and grams, it's stainless steal and easy to clean, another Target buy.

Cassidy,

Thanks a bunch. I've been looking everywhere locally to
find a digital scale. Looks like target carries sevral and
the accuracy of .1 oz ( 1/10 oz) is fine for ME making soap.
they have a small one that weights up 11 lbs for $24.95.

I ordered my scale from Target.com and got it the next day.

Primo Digital Scale - Blue
$24.99

Add to TargetLists - alternate view.
Avg. Guest Rating:
Availability :
Usually ships within 24 hours.
This item is available online, but is not available in stores.

Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online.
There are 4 buttons in the next section, to make the tab readable click it and navigate past the buttons. The currently selected tab is features.featuresdescriptionadditionalInfoshippingInfo
• Capacity of 11 pound/5 kilogram, displays ounces and grams
• Accuracy of 0.1 ounce or 1 gram
• Spill proof design, easy to clean
• Includes tare feature (great when working with a bowl)
• Operates on two AA batteries (included)

:) Glad it worked out...

I like to use 'em both. I make small-ish CP batches as well as LS and other skin care products... plus, I'm always weighing multiple things at a time. Not bad for it being so cheap! (I've even spilled quite a bit of water on one of them before, and it works just peachy!)

I have 2 digital scales in my soap/lotions room. One runs on battery, one on a A/C transformer. Sometimes I weigh in 1/10 ounces, and other times in grams which is 1/28 ounces. :)

Back