Need a new computer...recommendations needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had nothing but Windows machines, Dell and Lenovo for 7 years. Five of them, cost any where from 500 to 1200 dollars, and not a one of then lived to see its 2nd birthday before needing repairs that weren’t feasible. And I am a light user!

This year, after speaking with 4 repair companies and every person I know (literally about a 100 people), even the Windows people suggested a Mac for its long life! Except for 3. It was shocking how many people were using Macs well past the 6 year mark,

I dragged my feet; not wanting to pay that kind of money for what little computer power I need! But dang, I tired of having to transfer files and start a new computer every 14 months or so! So I bought it, and the Apple care......and will be happy if it lasts 4 years, but happier if lasts longer!

Then there’s the learning curve for learning a new OS....but I figure it’s good exercise for my brain.

I started this thread on sunday, and now its thursday, so i finally made a decision. YAY!!! I am picking up my new Mac tomorrow. Shes so purdy. I was gonna try to hold on to my computer for a bit...i came home tonight and typed a whole message here, only to realize that my keyboard died... good timing since i am trying to start a biz lol. The space bar and backspace button...and the letters h, m, and n dont work.

Rebooted...same thing.

My decision was made to go with Mac because of transferring files with the windows computer is a pita. Like, when i take a picture with my iphone (soap pics), i had to email them to myself to save then upload to my instagram or website etc. I will miss my side numerical keyboard lol.

Its been a long time coming since i bought a new puter. Gonna be broke for a few weeks over this, but i have been selling soap like crazy so i am making up for it lol.

Merry Christmas to me. I got gold lol. And a Magic Mouse lol

581F95F0-0B59-4C3C-9E4B-C29ADC1B0464.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had nothing but Windows machines, Dell and .for 7 years. Five of them, cost any where from 500 to 1200 dollars, and not a one of then lived to see its 2nd birthday before needing repairs that weren’t feasible. And I am a light user!

This year, after speaking with 4 repair companies and every person I know (literally about a 100 people), even the Windows people suggested a Mac for its long life! Except for 3. It was shocking how many people were using Macs well past the 6 year mark,

I dragged my feet; not wanting to pay that kind of money for what little computer power I need! But dang, I tired of having to transfer files and start a new computer every 14 months or so! So I bought it, and the Apple care......and will be happy if it lasts 4 years, but happier if lasts longer!

Then there’s the learning curve for learning a new OS....but I figure it’s good exercise for my brain.
Where in the world did you get you computers? My toshiba satelite finally died this year (may it rest in peace) and that thing was a little old when I first bought it in 2011. It was from Best Buy no less (I normally buy directly from manufacturers). With the exception of my HP (the recent one) I have never owned a laptop that conked out on me within 5 years of owning it. At least from what I remember (I did have that one crap Dell).

I started this thread on sunday, and now its thursday, so i finally made a decision. YAY!!! I am picking up my new Mac tomorrow.

So happy for you! Maybe for Valentine’s Day, you can give yourself a Bluetooth external extended keyboard. 😜

Also, for easy picture xfer, be sure to have iCloud storage turned on for both devices, and specifically for pictures. Sometimes it still take a bit for the pics to show up on the ‘puter. When I’m really impatient, I use the Airdrop function to transfer them immediately. If you haven’t used Airdrop before, it is awesome.

I should have gotten a bigger one. But I picked it up on my way to work, and the girls were so excited for me, and assured me that they love their 13" laptop because it is so portable. I am beginning to agree. This thing will fit in my purse LOL. I might never use my iPad again.

Glad I had a couple of 20 y/o to work with tonight, I got a few quick lessons. At first I was super annoyed with setting it up and just handed it to one of them. So I got a learning on how to use the touchpad and got it all synced up with my other devices. Then I hooked up my mouse and omg its awesome. It just connected when I plugged it in...no installing, etc. No wheel, but it works like a wheel just by sliding your finger along it.

On my hp laptop, I hated the touchpad because it always moved my cursor while I was typing. I had it disabled for a while, but that was a mistake because one day my mouse died and I had no way to control anything except with tabbing LOL. This computer doesn't have that problem with the touchpad. I still like having a mouse though. And I love the keyboard. Easy to type on, except it doesn't have the numerical keys like I like, but that's something I am going to have to live with.

Still learning it, but so far I am in love. I had a hard time realizing that stuff that I use aren't apps. I was having a meltdown when I couldn't find my bank app...coworker is like "Kim, it's a computer. Use it like a computer. No app for that." LOL

And I use airdrop all the time between my phone and iPad, so I am at least familiar with that lol.

And I just found the command button, gotta figure out what that's all about.

I started this thread on sunday, and now its thursday, so i finally made a decision. YAY!!! I am picking up my new Mac tomorrow. Shes so purdy. I was gonna try to hold on to my computer for a bit...i came home tonight and typed a whole message here, only to realize that my keyboard died... good timing since i am trying to start a biz lol. The space bar and backspace button...and the letters h, m, and n dont work.

Rebooted...same thing.

My decision was made to go with Mac because of transferring files with the windows computer is a pita. Like, when i take a picture with my iphone (soap pics), i had to email them to myself to save then upload to my instagram or website etc. I will miss my side numerical keyboard lol.

Its been a long time coming since i bought a new puter. Gonna be broke for a few weeks over this, but i have been selling soap like crazy so i am making up for it lol.

View attachment 52677
I love Mac's. I bought myself a new computer last January. I bought my first Mac about 35 years ago and have never had anything but a Mac. I love them, you won't be sorry.

Another MAC-lover here. do a regular check on the Apple certified refurbished page ( just google Apple refurbished.) Look for something that came out in 2020 or 2019 and you can usually save a couple hundred bucks.

Anyone have a good printer they love?
I have hated every single printer that I ever owned LOL. But I am glad you brought it up cause I would like recommendations for that too.

Some have good ink, some need every ink replaced constantly. Some won't print at all even in black and white if just the cyan is low. My Canon printer right now is ok at best. The ink is running low, and it keeps prompting me to replace the cartridges, but its going on a month strong with the "low" ink. I have new cartridges, and almost replaced them a month ago. Glad I didn't, because I got almost another month out of them.

I have hated every single printer that I ever owned LOL. But I am glad you brought it up cause I would like recommendations for that too.

Some have good ink, some need every ink replaced constantly. Some won't print at all even in black and white if just the cyan is low. My Canon printer right now is ok at best. The ink is running low, and it keeps prompting me to replace the cartridges, but its going on a month strong with the "low" ink. I have new cartridges, and almost replaced them a month ago. Glad I didn't, because I got almost another month out of them.
I have a broken HP, it’s about 6-7 years old and it was a work horse. But I really need a new one. I’m leaning towards another HP but also looking at the Epson.

My epson from a few years ago was a printer that made me want to go back and chisel notes into stone again like a neanderthal.Hopefully they got better lol.

And that was the one that didn't let me print in black and white if one other color was low.

My Canon printer/scanners have always been super dependable. I own an inkjet one for color printing, and have a laser one that belongs to my employer for B&W work printing. My experience is the same with the inkjet cartridges - they will keep printing for a looooong time after the "low ink" message pops up.

I tend to keep a laptop a long time and make upgrades as indicated for what I want to happen. For awhile I had a laptop that overheated horrendously as you mention and used the cooling pad. I also use a webbed hunting stool as a laptop lap-table which helped to some degree, but sooner or later, I could even feel the heat on my lap anyway. Eventually I was wrapping ice packs (the ones I use for back pain) and setting those below my overheating laptop. Vacuumed it & also used a blower to dislodge any dust. Replaced an internal fan. Replaced a heat sink. All these things were helpful, but the real solution was to buy a Solid State Drive and replace the original drive that was overheating all the time. It never overheated again.

1609314993875.png

I still have it and it still works, but I did replace it when the screen gave out. I was going to replace the screen, but figured why not buy a more current laptop, with greater capacity, which is what I did. Now, based on that experience, I will only ever buy a computer with an SSD or better if something better comes along.

So that's my suggestion. If you don't want to replace the current HD with a Solid State HD or can't because you can't get one with the correct dimensions, make sure your replacement has an SSD.

Although, if I were to buy a gaming laptop, which I almost did a few years ago, it would be liquid cooled. The only reason I didn't buy it then and there was because my husband was appalled I wanted to spend that much money on the thing. So I cooled my jets, gave a few weeks to reconsider and decided against the purchase. I ended up buying hearing aids instead.

I tried putting something under it to lift it up, it didn't really work to cool it off. I am pretty happy with the laptop I just bought...for now. The old one is about 5 or 7 years old. Can't remember. But it was time. I turned it on the other day to recover some saved passwords and I can't log into it because some of they keys aren't working to input my password to log into my computer. Slightly frustrating. I have been working on password recovery now on a bunch of websites, which is time consuming going back and forth through my emails. So I guess this weekend I will take the old girl to get geek squad or something to help me out with that.

Eventually I am going to want a bigger screen in the form of a desktop. I would like to set up an office with a desk for paperwork etc.

Nice, I'm glad you got a replacement with which you are happy.
Still learning it. I got a mac, which I always had a windows computer in the past. Still can't figure out how to add pictures here LOL. Honestly haven't tried too hard. And there are a few other things I need to figure out. You know, little things like PRINTING LOL. But I'm having fun with it, and I have the phone and tablet as backups when I need to do something (like PRINTING) that I still have to figure out for the most part.

What I did was buy a laptop and then added on a docking station. I can hookup a regular keyboard, mouse, dual monitors via docking station (got it from Amazon) to my laptop. I remain portable when I want to but big screens for these old eyes :) All of my printers are wireless so I can put them on a counter behind me.

We really like our Epson 430 printer at home. :) I always stuck to my guns on getting HPs for work, and I was never disappointed.

I'm rather late to this topic but I have been trying to research a new computer for my soap business. I currently have a desk top that I had made so I can play my game LOL, but I have to run up and down the stairs each time I want to look up something and print it off. Sooooo, my question is really what type of programs are needed for a soap business (small business), as well as programs. I will also be adding a printer for my labels and that is a whole other dilemma I am facing. The choices are a wee bit overwhelming.

Latest posts

Back