Need a little help finding resources

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflwrgrl7

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to find a book/website/tutorial/guidance/anything to make my own face cream, facial scrubs, etc. I wouldn't mind finding out how to make SLS-free shampoo to try either, I'm starting to wonder if I have a sensitivity to it. But face products are my quest right now.

It's for me personally, I'm not about to start selling ANYTHING you'd put on your face (okay MAYBE lipbalm), sounds too scary. But I've been using Avon ANEW and a couple of Avon face scrubs, and they are better than other face products I've gotten at the store, for example. But A. they are expensive ($35 for 1.7 oz), B. they don't work exactly like I'd like them to (I've tried lots of different stuff and still have problem skin) and C. they've got all kinds of stuff in them I can't pronounce. I'd just like to find something simpler than I can try to tweak and formulate for my own face.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about a book or website or anything where I can at least start learning? I've found oodles and oodles of body lotion recipes (and no lotion tutorials either), but practically nothing on facial moisturizers and facial scrubs.

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

I made a jojoba facial lotion last year in the fall. I can't find the exact recipe I used, but it was pretty simple (I just made it up myself one night!) I think it was mainly jojoba and beeswax to thicken it...hmmm. I'll take a look and post it if I can find it. It worked amazing! I have really oily skin and it feels a little oily when you first apply it, but afterwards it soaks right in. I've been meaning to whip up another batch, so I'd better find it soon!

mcleodnaturals :lol:

ah ha! Found it scribbled on the back of an envelope stuffed in the front cover of my soaping binder! Gotta love the organization!

Here it is...

2 oz jojoba
1 to 1.5 oz rosewater
1/2 oz beeswax
5-10 drops rose EO
8 drops lavender EO

Okay, so it was more than just jojoba and beeswax! Whoops! Anyway, you can pretty much modify it to whatever your skin type is by changing the rosewater to some other hydrosol and switching up the EOs to complement your skin.

Hope you like it!
mcleodnaturals

Thanks, mcleodnaturals!! That's exactly the kind of recipe I'm looking for. I'll definitely have to try that one!! I already have the jojoba and beeswax, so I just have to get the other ingredients and I'm set. :)

BTW, your kind of organization sounds JUST like mine, LOL!

hey is rosewater like water infused with rose petals or is it something else?? just curious !!

Here are a few exfoliating recipes for you.

Exfoliating Mud Masque

1 teaspoon of sedona mud powder
1 teaspoon of egg white powder
½ teaspoon of clove powder
1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon of water
5 drops of Orange EO
1 teaspoon of cornmeal

Mix Sedona mud powder, egg white powder, and clove powder.
Add grapeseed oil, water, and orange eo, and stir into a paste.
Stir in cornmeal to form a thick paste.
Use immediately or cornmeal will soak up the moisture making it too dry. If needed add a bit more water.

Apply to face, neck, and chest in a circular motion, spending about a minute on each area. Allow to dry for 10-15 minutes.

Exfoliating Mud Masque

¼ cup of cornmeal
2 teaspoons egg white powder
2 teaspoons honey powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons almond butter

Combine cornmeal, egg white powder, honey powder, and baking soda. Mix well
Add almond butter. Mix well

Apply to face, neck, and chest in a circular motion, spending about a minute on each area. Allow to dry for 10-15 minutes.

Exfoliating Facial Oil

1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon of baking soda
6 drops of cucumber extract
6 drops of green tea extract

Combine the grapeseed oil and baking soda.
Add the cucumber and green tea. Mix well

Apply to face, neck, and chest in a circular motion, spending about a minute on each area.

Exfoliating Scalp Treatment

1 tablespoon of wheat germ oil
1 tablespoon of fine dead sea salts
5 drops of peppermint eo
4 drops of tea tree eo

Mix dead sea salt, wheat germ oil, and peppermint and tea tree eo’s

Shampoo and rinse hair
Towel dry
Apply mixture to the scalp
Gently massage the scalp for 9 or 10 minutes
Remove with a light shampoo and rinse

I get them from universalcompanies.com However you might be able to find it cheaper at a Health Food Store.

Back