Need a "hard" oil for oily skin recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
Need a "hard" oil for my recipe for oily skin. What I have to choose from is coconut oil, palm kernal oil or babassu. Anyone want to offer their opinion?

Any one of them should be fine. You can get away with higher amounts of babassu than coconut in a soap and using palm kernal oil or flakes in conjunction with babassu or coconut oil will give you a good amount of bubbles. All that aside, have you considered a low superfat in a soap?

I agree with TEG. If you strip the oils, you'll be sending those oil glands into high gear. I found out the hard way when as a teen I decided I could cure my oily skin with Lava soap. I ended up with skin that was more oily than ever. Skin care experts I have read say to treat oil with oil. It needs to be something gentle and avoid alcohol in your remaining skin care routine. And be sure to stay hydrated so you are not stressing those glands causing them to produce more oil. Using a clay mask from time to time can also help hydrate skin.

The OP *should* be able to use at least a small amount of CO-say 15%, right? My children and hubby (with their oily skin) prefer at least 15% CO. My hubby prefers more, but he is from a dry climate, so I am not sure that has an effect or not. My children have both stopped using the *facial cleansing system advertised so heavily on TV" in favor of my soap to manage their acne and oily skin.

I agree with Susie. You need some cleansing, you just don't want to totally strip the skin. I use and love as do my daughters salt bars 3-4 time a week and use a regular soap bar the rest of the time. It has kept our skin manageable and in the best condition it's ever been.

Some cleansing and some SF ( lye discount) so dirt is removed but not all of the natural oils. Keeping the skin from sending the oil glands into high gear is the trick.

I know it's not on your list but have you considered lard or tallow?

Tallow is slightly cleansing but if used by itself, it may do the trick.

Back