Need a good starter recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I'm almost ready for my first batch of CP! I'm still learning a lot about the different types of oils and am not really sure what recipe I should start out with...

I find that a lot of handmade soaps I've tried, dry out my skin. I really want to make a creamier, more conditioning soap (that isn't toooo soft!)

Does anyone have a good, moisturizing soap recipe for me to start with? Preferably something versatile that I could work additives and scents/colors into once I get some more experience?

I have palm oil, coconut oil, canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, and safflower oil.

Thank you!

Hmmmmm......how about this?

40% Palm Oil
35% Olive Oil
25% Coconut Oil

That should make a nice conditioning bar with lots of bubbles. If you want to add some canola or sunflower or safflower, you can sub out about 5-10% of the olive oil, but I'm liking simple recipes more and more. :)

You can test out many recipes of your choice, on our soapmaker program. Start with the one Mike just gave you; watch the qualities, and test new recipes against that one, if you like.

I definitely need to budget for that program in the near future. I've looked it over and it sounds wonderful! :)

Pauls walmart soap recipe is what I did just becuse I just wanted to try to make soap, and I could run to walmart anytime. I think we are all looking for the perfect bar!!as I became used to the process I felt more comfortable changing the oils. with walmart no shipping fees!! and the oils are reasonable enough you can fool around with out loosing alot of money with the more costly oils/fats.

I agree that Paul's Wal-Mart recipe is a good place to start too.

Once you're done experimenting with all the wonderful oils out there, and most of us do, I wouldn't be surprised that you find that you settle on a formulation similar to that. You can make wonderful soap without the fancy stuff. :)

Latest posts

Back