Need a curry recommendation (US)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
I've been making my own version of curry rice for awhile now. Ran out of curry powder awhile back, bought a new one. Just tried it for the first time today and it's different. Sweet. I feel like curry should not be sweet. What's your favorite brand??

We lived in Okinawa Japan for 8 years. Japanese Curry tends to be sweet

You can purchase Coco's Curry on Amazon and yes its expensive but so worth the cost.

I'm a huge curry fan too! For stateside you can go to a good oriental store and find Java Curry which is really good IMHO.

I just bought a big container of Badia curry for my attempt at Jamaican beef patties. First time buying it and the Beef Pattie’s tasted quite good and spicy! Not sweet…

So many things are called Curry now, which cuisine of curry rice were you doing? II get curry powder and curry leaves from our local Indian grocery store. The curry leaves are fresh so not branded, we dry them ourselves later. The curry powder is usually laxmi brand, it is not sweet.

Do you have your old jar of curry powder? You can make your own, by using the spices used in the curry powder you like. I never buy curry powder I just mix my own with the combination of spices I prefer. Like Armenian Cooking so much is regional and it is going to depend on the combination you like.

I'm not a huge fan of pre-mixed seasonings (at least judging from my spice rig 🤭). Enjoy improvising on own blends too much. I've ordered fresh turmeric in an Asian shop, years before it was available anywhere north of the Mediterranean.
Every now and then I'm buying a bag of red Thai curry paste (the real stuff with the horrible translation errors in the ingredient list, not the junk produced for the “ethnic” sections of gringo supermarkets).

Do you have your old jar of curry powder? You can make your own, by using the spices used in the curry powder you like. I never buy curry powder I just mix my own with the combination of spices I prefer. Like Armenian Cooking so much is regional and it is going to depend on the combination you like.

Sadly no I do not! It never occurred to me that mixes would be different. I'm not a usual eater of oriental/Indian cuisine so I had no idea even what to expect with that first jar. I was surprised I liked it and sadly have no idea where I got it, now. I'm sure it was "that junk produced for the ethnic sections of gringo grocery stores" lol!

@violets2217 I'm going to try the Badia!

I'm going to try the Badia!
FYI: I just looked at my bottle and in the corner it says "Jamaican Blend" . So I have no idea if Badia makes different blends or what. Like I said it was the first time I've bought it and I think I was just lucky I picked the inexpensive "Jamaican Blend" for my Jamaican Beef Patties!

I'm sure it was "that junk produced for the ethnic sections of gringo grocery stores" lol!
I'm not saying all of it is bad. It's hit-and-miss, and probably with much better quality control (pesticides, mould). But in my (limited) experience, success rates are lower to find something that doesn't taste as if Indian chefs had created to appease their British colonial rulers, lol.

Garam masala might be worth a try too.

Back