Need 2 pointers, please: translucent and vegan

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdm

Reaction score
I'm looking for two beginner recipes, please. I hope they'd be NaOH-based (as that's what I have). Both should be hard soaps and both should be beginners recipes! (Did I already say that?)

• One is for a transparent or translucent soap.
  • One is for a vegetable oil based soap.

All my soap to date has tallow. Specifically, the vegetable person was hoping for a Marsailles Soap, but I'd be happy with a simple recipe for a hard soap which has a much reduced animal product.

Just for clarity: its is a request for two seperate recipes!

Any ideas, please?

The subject of vegan soap comes up a lot. I think your quickest solution on that subject would be to search the forum.

Since transparent soap has become such a big thing lately, I think you'll be able to find that information with a search as well.

That way, you don't have to wait for the right people to see your post.

The only way that I have found to make transparent soap is hot process with solvents such as Alcohol or Propylene Glycol

https://lovinsoap.com/2019/03/clear-transparent-soap-from-scratch-quick-method/If you're seriously aiming on high-clarity and/or remeltable soaps, I'd really recommend the mightiest of all these solvent/plasticizers that is propylene glycol.
Most recipes sound quite fixed, but in fact you have quite some freedom to tune the recipe. If you feel like it should be 100% animal: why not? Beef tallow is one of the few fats that qualifies without restriction for single-oil transparent/remeltable soap.

Regarding vegan soap: You can do anything from Basic Trinity (palm version) over Castile (from Provençal olive oil for the most “Marseille” vibes 🙃), up to the craziest possible triple butter/soy wax specialties with a dozen ingredients. Like with cooking – just refuse to see “vegan” as a restriction, but rather as an opportunity to get nudged into directions you haven't considered before.

I would not recommend transparent/translucent soap until you have a little more soap making experience under your belt. It is a pretty advanced technique with more hazards involved.

Vegan soap is easy. If they want a Marseille soap, just use majority olive oil and brine. Why not try Zany's no slime castille?

Latest posts

Back