Near fatal mistake?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using the same recipe as my base recipe for all my soaps. I can almost measure without even looking at the recipe. love it personally because my skin loves it.

Its very basic:
lard 50%
Oo 25%
CO 20%
castor 5%
33% lye concentration

I measured my hard oils, and i think i mixed up the 25% coconut oil for 20% oo (200g vs 250g and vice versa) But i only THINK i did at this point. For my mold i should have 500g of lard and 200g coconut. So thats 700g. I already melted it. I had to tare and remeasure, but include the bowl. But i dont know how much the bowl weighs presicely, and it was 863g total When i weighed it. So im thinking its confirming my suspicion that i overmeasured the co, cause the bowl isnt that heavy. Its not 163 grams.

Already had the lye mixture ready to go at this point. I ran it through soapcalc with the mistake to see what the lye and water difference should be, and it just a few grams of each (lye and water).

Another caveate is that i only used clay, so it was just added ~Tbls water, instead of all the extra added oil if i used mica.

so i left the recipe reversed.

Does anybody see anything fatally wrong with this mistake?? Its not by huge percentages.

But remember, im not even sure if i actually mixed up the oil percentages, but i am pretty sure i did....the 25% coconut oil vs the 20% olive oil.

This bach is going to be used mainly for dough and embeds. But i might be able cut a bar or two from it.

For future reference, you might find this useful, especially if your vessels are plastic: Mark each vessel you use for weighing soap with a magic marker on masking tape, taped to the side or the bottom (your choice where) with the empty weight of the vessel (in grams or ounces or both, again your choice.) I do this because there have been times I've forgotten to tare & I wanted to be sure of my weights. The tape withstands multiple washings without having to be replaced, unless you run them through a dishwasher. If you run through a dishwasher the tape may come off.

It'll be absolutely fine. You might love it more?? As long as you've redone the lye calculation, which you have, and it's safe, which it is, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
That was the problem. I redid the lye calc but used the original lye mixture anyway, because it was a few grams off, but wasnt really sure if there was an actual mix up of the oils to begin with (but i and almost positive it was)

the soap looked fine, behaved fine. Im about to cut it/mold it/curl it. Fingers crossed. At least it wont be lye heavy lol.

Kim, remember that there is a sort of inherent margin of error for lye-heavy avoidance (SF) in the sense that,
1. most soapmakers do not verify the true purity of their particular batch of lye
2. saponification numbers tend to be in a range and not an absolute
Which means that your intended SF value for your soap was really only an estimation (and a low one, at that) if based on the numbers of the lye calculator you used.

And also when you say 'a few grams off', although it does alter the SF value to some degree, it really does depend on the particular oil and the batch size.

And of course, you have the Zap test to fall back on, which in this case, I highly recommend you utilize.

Latest posts

Back