Natures Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
Maybe you can help me understand why the red oxide is bleeding but the blue oxide isn't a bit! What's up with that??

no clue!!!

I ordered some burgundy rose (even though I am not a fan of rose scent) this is the best rose scent I have ever smelt--it smells just like wild roses. I only ordered an ounce but will order more. wont use in soap until I get a bigger bottle but need to make more lotion bars and I found a recipe for bubble bath brittle that I might try it in

@SoaperForLife ,

Hows that sweater weather doing?

@Marilyn Norgart ,

I am going to be waiting to hear how the "burgundy rose" performs in the CP soap. I am looking for a floral for my inventory. I've tried a bunch of lilacs and gardenia from various sources. I am almost ready to give up on obtaining a nice floral for my soaps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year everyone! Just got an email that Nature's Fragrance is having 25% off Inventory Reduction Sale for 2 days only. Wanted to let everyone know but also find out if any opinions have changed or formed on their fragrances. Anything that I MUST TRY?
:computerbath:

Happy New Year everyone! Just got an email that Nature's Fragrance is having 25% off Inventory Reduction Sale for 2 days only. Wanted to let everyone know but also find out if any opinions have changed or formed on their fragrances. Anything that I MUST TRY?

clip_image001.gif

Ok seems like a good time to do an update of those that I've tried.....

1. Shave and Haircut---nice and strong in the beginning, but has now faded substantially. You can still smell it if you really try, but not as promising as it was (3 months).

2. Into the Woods---was always too spicy and not woodsy enough for me, so I added bay, fir, pine EOs to bump it up. It seems to be holding well (2 months).

3. Cafe Mocha---not a huge fan so what did I do? Made a huge loaf of this! Seems to be holding well (only a month).

4. Champagne Toast---nice, but faded at the beginning (3 months)

5. Baja Cactus Blossom---just soaped with it the other day (still in the mould)

There is still *some* fragrance in all these soaps, just not as much as I want.

To be honest, I'm not super excited to soap with any of my remaining fragrances (see my initial list and OOB reactions below). FWIW, all of the fragrances are still nice and strong in lotions and such (as expected). And, the ones I listed below as being non-descript are still not much to write home about.

BTW, I will link some pics from this message once I get organized; I wanted to post my feedback here in case anyone was contemplating a big purchase.

Below is the list of NF FO with initial reaction. Items with an asterisk (*) I would not recommend (based on appeal of fragrance; they're all lasting about the same, I find).

*Aladdin's Wish Fragrance Oil: nice, but weak and a bit nondescript.
Baja Cactus Blossom: just used it the other day…still in the mold!
Balsam & Cedar Fragrance Oil: Yes! Woodsy! Was looking for woodsy (see later comments)
*Cafe Mocha : nice enough
Champagne Toast : very good! Fruity!
Cocoa Butter Cashmere : very nice...I remember this one being fruitier than expected.
Driftwood: nice!
Forest Hike : more spice (cloves!) than forest
Into the Woods : more cinnamon than forest
Lavender & Spring Apricot: this one sounded very appealing, but it seems weak. Will have to revisit.
*Leather Fragrance Oil: smelled like leather!!
*My Dear Watson : don't remember much...must revisit
*Mystical Gathering : same ^^^
*Oatmeal Milk & Honey: didn't like it off the bat; hopefully will warm to it---too almondy for me.
Roasted Coffee Beans: nice! sharper than the Cafe Mocha. Neither as good as my Coffee EO (which isn't very strong and is pricey)
Route 66 : Liked this!!
Shave & Haircut : Like this too!!
Black Teakwood & Mahogany Teakwood : Still can’t say what the main differences are between them.
Storm Watch: nice enough
Sweetgrass: nice one
Tabac & Leather : in the same vein as the teakwoods
Tobacco & Bay Leaf : ok
Twisted Peppermint :
LOVE THIS. All of the bottles I ordered were 2oz, but I was tempted to get a full 16oz of this one (they were out of the 4 and the 8) because I love the B&B version so much. But I was restrained, just in case. But it is just great. Too bad it discolours....
Woodsman: This was good, but not as woodsy as I'd hoped.

Here is an update on a few that I tried.
Route 66 did not sell well for me and was not strong after cure. For me, it was a disappointment since my customers like the stronger fragrances.
Storm Watch did sell well and has stuck well. I still smell Jasmine in this one.
Baja Cactus Blossom turned out to be nice and sold really well. When poured I did not like then, then it faded but came back after curing.
Mahogany and Coconut seems to stick but did not sell well
Apricot and Lavender was a surprise for me. While I smell no lavender it proved to be a good seller during my Christmas Craft Show. It soaps nicely with no discoloration.

Follow up on fragrance hold after cure. 3 that stand out are Mahogany Teakwood, Lavender & Spring Apricot and Friday Nights.

All 3 of these have held strong in HP Soap, Lotion and Linen Spray.

I used Oatmeal Milk & Honey in CP the other day. It's just as disappointing in soap (so far) as OOB....I was hoping for more oatmeal, milk, or honey, but all I get is almond extract :-(

Question for you NF users....I find a lot of the NF fragrances smell "plastic-y" or "chemically" to me OOB...is this perhaps the plastic bottle? All my other FOs come in glass bottles and I wonder if this is the difference. Anyone else noticed this?

I havent noticed it in NF but i have in Aztec. I did not find that it carried over to the soap though..

I have not tried the oatmeal milk and honey with Nature's fragrance, but I'm glad I will know to avoid it given your experience.

I also detect that “chemically” odor in some of the fragrances. I tried Tahitian Tiare, Forest Hike and Chai Tea in soaps I made late last fall. All have stuck, but the floral is the weakest. The Chai Tea smells a lot like chai tea. The Forest Hike has a sharp edge to it that I’m not wild about. The Tahitian Tiare doesn’t smell anything like the real deal. I think I liked Storm Watch well enough, but I gave all of those soaps away. The OMH has been sitting on my counter waiting for me to use it, but I keep hesitating. Maybe I will use it to make a soap with almond meal added as an exfoliant :). I have some others left, but I can’t remember what they are.

ETA: @MGM I just noticed above that you think Forest Hike smells like cloves. I didn’t get that impression but I will try to remember to give it another sniff with that in mind. Also had not read your review of Storm Watch before I wrote my comment, lol.

Question for you NF users....I find a lot of the NF fragrances smell "plastic-y" or "chemically" to me OOB...is this perhaps the plastic bottle? All my other FOs come in glass bottles and I wonder if this is the difference. Anyone else noticed this?

I receive fragrances from other suppliers and do not have to deal with the "plastic-y or chemically" smell. That being said, I did order about 20 fragrances from VCS, Virgina Candle Supply and had about 1/2 of them arrive with that faux smell. I didn't even try to soap with them. Did you try to soap with your plastic-y smelling fragrances? If so, did the smell go away in CP?

I receive fragrances from other suppliers and do not have to deal with the "plastic-y or chemically" smell. That being said, I did order about 20 fragrances from VCS, Virgina Candle Supply and had about 1/2 of them arrive with that faux smell. I didn't even try to soap with them. Did you try to soap with your plastic-y smelling fragrances? If so, did the smell go away in CP?
I'm trying to remember which ones i thought had a strange tinge...it's hard to know whether it's a plastic smell or that was intentional by the perfumer ;-)
Aladdin's Wish is one I used the other day.... reviewers said it smelled expensive and high-end....to me it was fine, but nothing special. Perhaps I don't get out enough :)
Soaps are still in the mould though, so it's a bit soon to tell.
I remember Lavender and Apricot had a bit of a chemical smell; I haven't yet soaped with it.
Perhaps later I will go on another sniff-thru to see which ones I think are weird.

Today's soaping plan is another brine soap with my *other* FO collection---the Beach set from WSP!

I'm trying to remember which ones i thought had a strange tinge...it's hard to know whether it's a plastic smell or that was intentional by the perfumer ;-)
Aladdin's Wish is one I used the other day.... reviewers said it smelled expensive and high-end....to me it was fine, but nothing special. Perhaps I don't get out enough :)
Soaps are still in the mould though, so it's a bit soon to tell.
I remember Lavender and Apricot had a bit of a chemical smell; I haven't yet soaped with it.
Perhaps later I will go on another sniff-thru to see which ones I think are weird.

Today's soaping plan is another brine soap with my *other* FO collection---the Beach set from WSP!

Ive soaped with Lavender & Spring Apricot and loved it. I normally dont like lavender at all. No odd smell came through in the soap.
Aladdins wish was ok and held the smell but I too found nothing special about it

I have ordered fragrances before from companies that others raved and all I smelled was plastic. On the worst order I just didn't soap them. I picked up the bottles about a year later and no plastic smell. I can't help but wonder if overheating of the bottles in shipping can't cause the smell.

Just popping in to report that Stormwatch is very nice once soaped! Very strong and a pleasant smell. Attached is my confetti soap.
Leather is....well....first of all, it accelerates, which forced (I mean "allowed) me to have my first re-batch experience. I had made this soap with a dark beer and between the strong leather and the strong beer in the oven for 3 hr (it didn't take an hour, like it said it would), no one would go in the basement! It's been about 3 weeks now and the beer has faded, so it smells pretty Leathery. Or I've just gotten used to it.

Attachments

• Stormwatch.png
    Stormwatch.png
    520 KB · Views: 11
  • Leather soap.png
    Leather soap.png
    803.8 KB · Views: 11
Back