Natural Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevvy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was just wondering what is 100% Natural Soap?? I was at the Markets and the ladies said their soaps were 100%. Not like the store bought ones. But they use Goats Milk Base (they make M&P). Isn't Natural made out of Plant Bases? And what about Ess and Frag Oils are there Natural ones or can U use any of them :)

Natural is as natural does!!!!! People say anything and handmade doesn't = natural! Lye isn't natural and if your making soap, then you aren't 100% natural no matter what anyone else says. Also, do you know what she was coloring and scenting her soaps with? Because that will also affect your naturalness! I don'tthink you can have 100% natural soap unless you process your lye through wood ashes with rain water yourself. It just ain't gonna happen!

I didn't get to ask. My children were annoying me :roll:
So if I used Olive Oil Base (premade M&P) and used colours and Frag/Ess Oils. Would I be correct in saying that my soap was 95% Natural.

bevvy said:
I didn't get to ask. My children were annoying me :roll:
So if I used Olive Oil Base (premade M&P) and used colours and Frag/Ess Oils. Would I be correct in saying that my soap was 95% Natural.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but for the most part FO's are not natural but EO's are. However you will get some who say that EO's aren't depending on how they were processed because sometimes you get residue from the solvents used to extract the EO or your get your oil, but it is cut with something else to keep the price down. Try doing a search on here for natural colorants. If I were at home, I would give you a few links that list a lot of them such as alkanet, tumeric, rose hips etc..., but I am not sure about the liquid or mineral colorants and their naturalness. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you that 95% natural is all good, that is more of something that you will have to decide for yourself based on what you percieve to be natural. I plan on just calling mine handmade goodness!

Like I said, some people will say anything and others will believe it and open up their purses. If they are ok doing business like that, then fine, I am sure it will come back to bite them eventually. I will just focus on the natural goodness of the individual ingredients that I know are all natural and keep on steppin'! LOL

Besides FOs not being natural as well as some colorants (you'll have to do your homework there) many M&P bases have tons of ingredients that are not natural. You have to read what's in your base too.

Natural means made by nature rather than made by man. Goat's Milk is made by nature, not made by man. Goat's milk is a natural ingredient. Not knowing what else was in the soap I couldn't telll you if it was all antural or not. I think you are confusing natural with vegan. Vegeterian means no animal product such as fats, vegan means no animal product or byproducts such as fats, milks, honey, silk, bee's wax, sugar that has been filtered through bone, etc.

in this day and age the term "natural" and "handmade" are used rather loosely. Well they gain attention to many and those words are not regulated.

I think it was Tabitha, who broke it down really well. She basically said that "natural" doesn't necessarily mean "better" or "safer". It just means natural. Is natural usually better? I would have to say "yes" — because of health/environmental concerns. But I've used some stellar "synthetic" products, and some awful "natural" stuff.

That's really important to remember. If you don't know what you're doing with "natural", you may not produce a product that's any better than the mass-produced synthetics. Also, many "natural" ingredients are dangerous, in the hands of a novice. Essential oils are prime examples.

Many of us try to avoid "synthetic" for health/environmental reasons. But I honestly have to say that I have struggled with this, because I've often fallen in love with products that ain't natural, but they...work — AND work better than anything "natural" I've tried, up to this point.

Everybody's not moved by a "natural" label. It needs to be good.

Thanks everyone. Once again I can feel better asking u all questions and receiving fantastic answers without spending all day on the internet and pulling my hair out.

pjb3lapb I will stick to something on the lines like you said 'handmade goodness' that way I can cover my backside if someone puts me on the spot about how NATURAL my soap is.

faithy said:
or you can use the term handcrafted
Is it Handcrafted, Hand-crafted, Hand-Crafted, or Hand Crafted??? This is the term I use...

Natural is a money word. There is a REALLY good thread on "what" natural means to everyone.

Lane said:
faithy said:
Is it Handcrafted, Hand-crafted, Hand-Crafted, or Hand Crafted??? This is the term I use...

Natural is a money word. There is a REALLY good thread on "what" natural means to everyone.

Oh Boy, question of the day, how should it be spelled..... I think many spell it handcrafted because it takes up less space than Hand Crafted. When space is an issue in some titles on some websites. Or you use what many others use.

Yep 'natural' is a money word, it gains attention to the consumer.

Sorta like those 100 calorie treats they sell but they have like 6 grams of fat. But hey only 100 calories so they can't be all bad. But you need to look at all the ingredients to make an informed decision.

natural bases

I am fairly new but I looked at alot of sites that said natural bases melt and pour goats milk bases and two out of three wher full og polyglycol etc, which I won't buy. Glorybee was great but a little high, brambleberry has one .you have to look close at ingre. delynn

Re: natural bases

delynn said:
I am fairly new but I looked at alot of sites that said natural bases melt and pour goats milk bases and two out of three wher full og polyglycol etc, which I won't buy. Glorybee was great but a little high, brambleberry has one .you have to look close at ingre. delynn

I don't do Melt and Pour, but I found these natural bases. They sound great!

faithy said:
Lane said:
faithy said:

Oh Boy, question of the day, how should it be spelled..... I think many spell it handcrafted because it takes up less space than Hand Crafted. When space is an issue in some titles on some websites. Or you use what many others use.

Yep 'natural' is a money word, it gains attention to the consumer.

Sorta like those 100 calorie treats they sell but they have like 6 grams of fat. But hey only 100 calories so they can't be all bad. But you need to look at all the ingredients to make an informed decision.
Excellent point with the calorie example!!

Well sheesh... I have been spelling it Hand-crafted... :oops:

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but just as a comparison, looking at the different ingredients of two M&P bases sold at WSP:

All Natural Clear Base:
Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Water, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein.

Pro Base Clear:
Sorbitol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Triethanolamine.

M&P bases can technically say they are natural if they do not use syn dets and other synthetic ingredients such as Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, etc. Is it really 100% natural - no. But comparing the bases, the "All Natural" one is definitely the much more natural of the two.

I've worked with both of the bases I mentioned - Bases labelled "Natural" tend to be more moisturizing, more slippery, softer, and don't last as long.

Back