Natural Raspberry Pink Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
"Rumex crispis" is a weed that grows just about every where in the world. Use the roots to make an oil infusion. The result is a lovely raspberry pink soap. Read all about how to do it in this article:

https://sapuhusid.blogspot.com/2010/07/raspberry-pink-soap-yellow-dock.html

Here is a picture of the soap I made using yellow dock root infused in oil from Monterey Bay Spice Co

Yellow Dock.jpg

Its quite tasty too. I have memories of chewing on it as a kid whilst walking through dog.

The soap is such a vibrant colour!

Hmm, the photos of yellow dock on Google look a lot like a clump of stuff we have in our garden... I'm not much of a gardener but I've left it there as the flowers are colourful and the birds seem to like the seeds in the autumn...
I think I need to try for a more positive identification when the weather out there is better. If it is yellow dock, I'll definitely be digging up a bit to try this! That pink is a lovely shade. 😊

I think I need to try for a more positive identification when the weather out there is better. If it is yellow dock, I'll definitely be digging up a bit to try this! That pink is a lovely shade. 😊
Google "Rumex crispis" location? There are a few varieties with different common names. I used dried Yellow Dock Root cut & sifted. Follow the link to learn more. ;)

I was just looking this up, and we definitely have Rumex Obtusifolius growing among the rhubarb (husband can't quite distinguish it from the rhubarb so it escapes weeding!). It looks like this produces the same dye as far as I can tell from researching, although is less popular, presumably because it's not so good for eating.
if this rain ever lets up I may go and collect some and try it out :)

I have both species of dock, thought one was mutated, lol and also rhubarb. I can see I'll be experimenting in the future. I'm always a bit iffy about infusing fresh ingredients into oil, so I'll dry the root and play with the powder both in lye, infused in oil and powder directly in soap batter. I'm also aware that in New Zealand we are in Autumn, so the active ingredients might be at a lower concentration, but it will give me plenty of time to play in the winter ;)

@Zany_in_CO, I'll definitely be playing with daffodil petals in the Spring. Did you play around with different coloured petals?

Its quite tasty too. I have memories of chewing on it as a kid whilst walking through dog.

I presume you were chewing the leaves? I pick them for my pheasants as a tasty treat. Never thought about trying them myself. I know there's plenty you can eat out there, but I'm sure some you would only eat if you were desperate for food. I remember going through a phase of eating "weeds" when I was learning about herbs, I found so many bitter with my modern tastebuds, lol

Did you play around with different coloured petals?
I did. They simply don't do well. It's like the lavender buds and rose petals some soapers use to decorate the tops of their soaps. In time they appear to be mouse turds. UGH.

I just checked this source for other option. It has been around since "forever". It reminded me of once using dried rosehips harvested from a rambling rose bush -- made a lovely rosey tea but the color didn't survive saponification -- and red sandelwood powder -- worked but even a little bit makes scratchy soap. :eek:

MULLERS LANE FARM - SOAP COLORS

Last edited:
Did you play around with different coloured petals?
I just remembered... not petals but leaves from the Bay Laurel shrub or tree or dried Bay Leaves from the grocery store can be infused in olive oil to make a nice olive green -- good colorant for castile soap I think. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back