Natural Preservatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread is not too old I thought it safe to post here. And my disclaimer - IMHO

I have used both Biopein and Suprapein. The lotion using Biopein was made 9March06 and the one made using Suprapein, 10Oct06. I still have one bottle of each that I "challange tested" on my own. I also have a bottle of each that has, since they were made, been opened for nothing except to sniff. None of the lotion in either of the bottles shows any sign of growing anything, mold or otherwise. They still smell like the day they were bottled.

Now, having said that, I will tell you why I don't sell them. I am an earthy, woodsy, herby scent type of gal. Love 'em. But most people, I have found, are not so inclined. My testers all found the scent of these 2 preservatives very offensive! I thought I had it whooped when I used a blend of neroli and chamomile in the last one. I thought it enhanced, no, enchanted!, the scent, but no-go.
It is the scent of these that are not acceptable. They do exactly what they are claimed to do (although I did not get lab-proof) but the intense herbal scent just turns people off. If it were not for that I would use them in a heartbeat and sell the product. Right now, though, I am content just enjoying it myself. :wink:

GSE is more effective when used in conjunction with potassium sorbate. It is said they compliment each other "in their duties" and are quite effective when used together. Having them both here, I intend trying them in that capacity as soon as I get (or make) the time.
I am not one to take anybody's word if they cannot give me proof that makes sense and cannot be denied. These articles attacking the use of GSE have been around for years and years and yet there are still large successful companies using it. I have not heard of any 3rd noses or extra arms, even toes, being grown from their use. "They" are going to have to present me with more believeable evidence to make me believe their accusations. The article at Snowdrift Farm is more closely related to the truth than any I have seen.

The gist of this thread is about the newly intro-ed Citrozine. I must say that I will try it; don't know when but I will, probably when I make an order for more azulene from Aromantic.
It is also an Aussie product. It's description under its name Citrofresh is not too far off from the one given about the other Aussie one (I can't get to that post while I am in reply!). I will be watching this extremely close.

In the meantime, as I said, I am content using up the wonderfully intensly herbal scented lotion no one seems to appreciate. :lol: Ah-h-h-h...

ets:emphasis

preservatives

Just FYI

3 ingredients (usually?) found in Germaben are banned in either Europe or Japan: Diazolidinyl urea banned in Europe for a huge variety of problems including carcinogen, chest pain, headaches, dizziness and immune dysfunction; Methylparaben and propylparaben - banned in Japan and Sweden and under review in the UK - problems as hormone dirupter, estrogenic, linked to breast cancer and skin rashes. See greenlivingonline for information.

Yes, if anyone knows of a natural preservative let us know. Am looking for one.

Sugar Scrubs

I need help. I am in the process of buying the products for my sugar scrubs and and torn between the preservatives. I want to ask does anyone know how all these natural companies can sell natural products and stay in business without using preservatives?

I plan on selling my sugar scrubs and body oils and just want to make sure I am making a product that is not damaging to the skin nor harmful as well.

Also, does anyone know of a good body butter recipe and instructions on how to make it?
Pls help

Back