Natural Preservatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well looks like I'm not ready to adjust quite yet. And not sure I ever will be. I'd rather just not make that product then if I can make it safe AND natural.
If you can't tell by the name, I'm of native ways. I've been heavy into the herbal field for about a decade now (informally longer) and recently certified as a wholistic kinesiologist. (and yes I prefer EOs to FOs). So guess I'll keep trudging along to find that perfect solution to the natural preservative question.
Heck there's gotta be something! I mean look at those mummies (oh, formaldehyde, well let's keep thinking). Reason I stopped with the opinions before was the rebel was coming out in me (and yes I'm a bit of a hippie too) and the naturalist hairs on my back were begining to rise! But I'm ok now, I think. :roll:
It may take me a while, but I am determined to find a solution (that's the analyst in me - notice the first part of that word - yeah I'm that too!)
Ok - I'm signing off now. Think I had too much sugar or something :oops:

My 2 cents worth.

I agree with Paul, I do not use GSE, Vit E for a preserv. I use Phenionp and Germaben !!.
Although Rosemary Oil, and GSE, as well as Xanthum Gum is suppose to work.. I have not tested it.

But I will say with the preservs that I do use, have lasted well over a year for me, with no problem.

I also include it into my scrubs, simply because they are near water. Lotions, creams, and some salves (some salves sit close to the bathroom sink :wink: )

Well, EagleHeart, make sure you come back and tell us if you find a reliable natural preservative that is scientifically tested and is anti-fungal and anti-germy because I really want to use that rather than an artificial preservative.

This one has recently become available on one of the websites that I order from:

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Pr ... r-856.html

Preservative NB
Preservative NB consists of a combination of Benzoic Acid and Sorbic Acid in Benzyl Alcohol. It does not contain parabens, formaldehyde or formaldehyde-releasing substances and is classed as "Natural" under the German BDIH recommendation for Natural Cosmetic Products and is compliant with EU Cosmetics Directives. Preservative NB can be processed at temperatures of up to 80 Degrees Celsius. Suitable for use in Creams & Lotions, Shampoos and Bath Products, Gels and Foam Baths.

If you intend to make this "natural" claim in Australia please check with the TGA for guidance. We are not able to offer advice on this subject.

I haven't tried it or researched it yet, but thought it may be of interest.

I found an interesting alternative in the link that Tabitha sent in another thread, http://happi.com/articles/2007/05/prese ... update.php

They mention Cetylpyridinium Chloride. This is something we use in Norway to clean cuts and wounds. It is an over-the-counter chemical, and is considered very safe. The trade name mentioned in the article is ZeStat by Vertellus Spescialties Inc. According to the company website you can use it for:

Hand Sanitizers
Shampoos
Hair Sprays
Body Lotions, Gels, Creams and Oils
Baby Wipes and Bath Wash
Cosmetics
Pet and Animal Care Products

The problem is to find a place you can buy it... I will try to contact the company and find some prices too if I can. And make sure it does not contain parabens, formaldehyde or other nasties.

I also found a test at home kit for lotions: http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/chek-it.html

This is an age old delima.

Are you wanting to make items for personal use or to sell? If it is for personal use you can just make small qtys at a time and keep them in the fridge for shorter amounts of time.

If you are planning on sellling your items the TGA (as Becky mentioned) should have a list of preserves they permit.

The FDA does not recognize natural preserves in cosmetics but they do in pet products like doggie shampoo & I think *some* in foods but can't swear to that.

Take a look at this lotion:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7222927

It does not contain water and according to this listing AND their website http://www.thelotetree.com there is no preservatives in it. Is it safe to use beyond two weeks?

Or are they a lawsuit waiting to happen...

I don't feel comfortable using Germaben from what I have read about it, but that's just me. But that NB stuff sounds interesting. Hard to use, but interesting.

I have sensitive skin and Germaben is fine for me. :) That lotion doesn't have water listed in their ingredients- I would ask them if they put H2O in it- if so then it may not be safe. If not Vitamin E should be ok in there...
Looks good though- flavorwise.

It does not list the ingredients so it *may* have water in it. They did not list it as a material but that is just for the sake of searchable meta-tags.

If there is NO water it looks safe, that just means it's oils so whatever the shelf life of the oils are is the shelf life of the lotion.

I would email her & ask if there is water in it. Let us know what you find out.

Seriously guys- I'm really proud of my shower soap it took me a long time to formulate it- test it- etc.. I use it mostly everyday unless I get bored with my scent then i make more- i make it in small batches big pita - I have used Germaben in it- not good for soap- I know so for the past 2 months I have used Potassium Sorbate- this discussion reminded me to edit my listing to include it -oops!
I have never had a mold issue at all that would be yucky using either one- that would be gross! So I think for those of you who want another preservative idea it may work for you.
Also, there is a fine line between using a preservative and a base laden with alcohol and chemicals- and I'm really grateful and proud to be part of a group cares what people put on their skin whether or not your selling or giving it away! Presevatives or not!

Ok, I wrote her and asked what the shelf-life of the lotion is. If it doesn't contain water, how long a shelf-life would it have? Months? A year?

She answered: Yes, there is water- it is made in very small sterile batches. - I recommend it be thrown out before 6 months.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hmmm? :shock:

Thanks for checking- I may have to stay away from that one. I was going to try to make my own base but I think maybe I'll be able to find a good one that is semi natural and safe (preserved)- hopefully!

Latest posts

Back