Natural orange colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
The makers of this soap says they use all natural colours for all their soaps.
They say this one only has clay to colour it.
I have never seen a clay that colour.
Does anyone know how it might be made?
tangelo-palm-oil-free-natural-soap.jpg

https://www.biome.com.au/natural-so...palm-oil-free-natural-soap-9344232000263.html

Annato seed added to oils or lye solution at the rate of 2 tsp PPO produces very orange color, although not as neon orange as the soap above.

Annatto seed did give me orange (and a very nice one), but I can't see it becoming so neon.
I'm trying to experiment with natural colorants, and got some Brazilian clay samples from BB. Must not have read the description carefully, because they actually list mica in the ingredient list of the clay! This is to say... they may have "clay" in there but a kind that contains mica. (Bummer for me about the BB clays though.)

I got close to this color with a paprika infusion. I added 10g of paprika to 90g of olive oil, microwaved 1 min. and let it sit overnight before straining. I used the full 90g in a 1lb batch.

Pics are freshly cut and after about a 3 week cure. The room I cut in has odd lighting but it's not far from true. The cured pic is true (but taken in a darker area). The lather doesn't have an orange tint to it, but you can tell its not totally white.

I wonder if that neon look is partly due to lighting.

Attachments

• paprika_soap2.jpg
    paprika_soap2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
  • paprika_soap1.jpg
    paprika_soap1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
D9D7BC4B-4A16-4F70-9D10-4EBA51FCD8FC.jpeg 08832E81-19D2-4768-AFB8-EF9CA0C69A00.jpeg I am not sure why but I had a dramatic change in a soap made with turmeric. It started out really deep orange but then transformed in a spotted soap.

Back