Natural Laundry Soap (no shredding)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I know it's been around for a while but I just got around to trying it. It's great! I was skeptical that it would get my kid's socks clean, but it did. I made one batch without scent and am on the last leg of a second batch scented with lemon EO- can't wait for another load of laundry!!!

homemade liquid soap

ChrissyB said:
I made some of this and it is fantastic!! I only made a half batch, but I wish I made a bigger batch now. It works really really well.
BTW I used coconut in mine, not lard. Thanks Mike for posting this recipe.

Are you still making this soap, and is the CO still the oil of choice. Looks like a good recipe, but would like some current input of it.
Thanks

I've made this 2 or 3 times and I really like. It's probably a stupid question but I was wondering if your supposed to weigh the water and borax/washing soda. Each time I've made a batch I've had inconsistent result because I've measured different each time...ugh I'm an overthinker

laundry soap

I have made other recipes for laundry soap, and I have always used the measuring cup to measure the washing soda and borax. I have never seem it recommended to weigh the ingredients.
However, if I were using coconut oil, I would use the scales to be accurate. :p [/i]

Hey guys. I made a video for this recipe to show what it looks like and to show that it really does work. I was scared to try this recipe for a really long time because I was afraid of wasting materials or didn't know what it should look like, or how it would work! So here is something to reassure anyone who has wanted to try this!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7K9myB9yPk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7K9myB9yPk[/ame]

Thanks to MikeInPDX for the recipe and you are in the credits :D
If this video offends you, I'll gladly take it down.

Laundry Soap

I have just made the laundry soap shown in this forum, and is it really possible for the gallon of liquid to change to a gel or whatever, when there is only 2.25 ounces of lye in the recipe, I was wondering if that was the correct amount. Right now I have the lard on top, have been whisking it several times a day, but so far nothing has changed.
What length of time should I expect to see a change, and if that doesn't happen, would it be possible to heat the lard again, mix some more lye and water, combine and add to the remaining mix in the gallon pail.
I used I cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda, and at the end put in some lavendar EO :? I did boil some water about 16 ounces and added it with the hot tap water, should that have made a difference.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks[/i]

Re: Laundry Soap

I guess it could be from the extra borax and washing soda? That is my best guess since the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of each instead of 1 cup of each.
I added EO to mine as well and it came out just fine.
I don't know about adding extra lye.. I don't think I would do that. Mine came out perfectly just using the amount of lye suggested. If you add more lye it could end up being something dangerous.
Mine took 3 days to set up. I mixed 2 times per day with a stick blender.

Laundry Soap

Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about the water amount. I am in Canada, and our gallon is larger than the American gallon, so perhaps the extra water has made the problem.
I am still stick blending, and it doesn't seem to be breaking up the blob on top, but will keep at it. This is day 4, so if something is going to happen it should be soon.
I thought if all else fails, I will scoop off the top, and use the liquid in the
washing machine, for the extra cleaning power.
Still think a little more lye in this case would have solved the problem, but
you are right, it could present a monster, if I did it now.
Any more suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Laundry Soap

tinglingclean said:
Any more suggestions are appreciated.

If this batch doesn't work out I would remake it. I would use exactly this recipe:

500 grams coconut oil
2 liters cold water
92 grams NAOH
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1 liter hot water

when you get to the hot water only add 1/2 liter. let it set up for a couple of days and then if you need the extra 1/2 liter, add it later. I added less than the recommended amount of water and mine came out perfectly.

Hazel said:
I keep wondering - should a preservative be used because of all the extra water added in to it?

Thanks!

Maybe... Probably. You're supposed to use preservatives in regular cream soap. And this is a lot like that in texture and yes, there is a ton of water in there.

I guess I'll watch mine to see if anything weird grows in it... I know there are things you can't see, but since I'm not putting it directly on my skin, I'm not as worried about it. I haven't tested the pH so I don't know if anything would grow in it as easily either.

Tasha -

Thanks for the reply. I'm interesting in trying this but I cringe every time I think of all that water without a preservative. I've got preservatives so I might try this as a smaller batch.

I have come to the point where I think this experiment could be called a failure. I have blended it so thoroughly so many times, and it still is a glob on top of the water.
I will try your method, and let you know how I make out with this one.
Do you like the coconut oil better than lard, and if so, why.? I have no preference, but was curious.
I like the idea of adding the water as needed. I will definitely try that.
I have made the shredded method for a few years, but wanted to try something different, and from the reviews, it sounds like this one does a good job on the clothes.
I have printed off your suggestion, so there cannot be any mistakes with the amount of water.
Thanks for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it. Love this site, feels like friends helping friends.
Take care

tinglingclean said:
Do you like the coconut oil better than lard, and if so, why.? I have no preference, but was curious.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it. Love this site, feels like friends helping friends.
Take care

I only used the coconut because I don't have any lard.
If you wanted to use lard you can replace the coconut and use a little less lye. Here is what it would be.

500 grams lard
71 grams lye (sodium hydroxide)
2 liters cold water
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1 liter hot water

I can't guarantee it with the lard because I haven't personally tried it! :D But others say it works.

Good luck! I'm glad to help! :)

thanks for the pre-calculated recipe. I will let you know how it turns out this time.
Just took a look at my project, and it is still a globby mess. so will skim off the top, and see what happens when I use the remainder in the wash with another soap. Hate to waste all that product. Scottish background!!!
Take care

100% lard soap doesnt seem to be very cleansing. Tallow is more cleansing and coconut takes the cake! I am not sure if using lard would be a wise idea for a laundry soap. Personally I want my laundry soap to be very cleansing to keep my clothes as clean as they can get and lard just doesnt seem to have that affect

You have to think about how lard is saponified by the lye. It is soap. However, I've read that lard soap doesn't work well in cold water so I would prefer to use coconut.

Laundry Soap

I am on the second try of the no shredding soap recipe. This is day 2 and it does have a white topping on it, have used the blender regularly, so will see what happens through the day.
I had not read that lard soap doesn't work in cold water, or perhaps Iwould not have used lard. I usually use hot water with the soap, then switch to warm/cold.
I am also beginning to think that the old method of grinding the soap (which I have made special for that) is the easier method in the long run.
Will let you know how this batch progresses.
Always appreciate all the input, so helpful :)

Hazel said:
You have to think about how lard is saponified by the lye. It is soap. However, I've read that lard soap doesn't work well in cold water so I would prefer to use coconut.

I believe it doesn't LATHER well in cold water, but I think it still cleans. Just basing that on a rather tenuous grasp of the chemistry of cleaning, though - not on experience.

Latest posts

Back