Natural Green Colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
I made a batch yesterday and coloured it with french green clay. It looks horrible. :( The soap itself is fine and I used eucalyptus and mint for scent, but the colour is so off. I will post a picture soon. Any suggestions on a nice, bright green colour. I prefer a natural colourant, but am willing to look at others.

I made a really nice green Apple scented soap using 1 Cerilian Blue Crayon and 1 Yellow Crayon. It was more of a light green but I am sure you could up the amount. I was making a 4lb batch.

8) What kind of crayons did you use? I wonder if you could use 100% soy crayons? Any other natural colour suggestions. I was also trying to find a blue colourant and use palm oil which gives a nice yellow colour. Thanks for the suggestion

When I make minty rebatch I use some peppermint leaves for some color. Looks really good

pink, you could use soy crayons, but while the soy may be natural, I am going to bet what ever they added to the soy to make the color is not.

edco, I use crayons for coloring on occassion too, but do not EVER admit that in a court of law-LOL! Crayons are not an FDA approved cosmetic or soap additive-LOL.

Tabitha said:
pink, you could use soy crayons, but while the soy may be natural, I am going to bet what ever they added to the soy to make the color is not.

edco, I use crayons for coloring on occassion too, but do not EVER admit that in a court of law-LOL! Crayons are not an FDA approved cosmetic or soap additive-LOL.

Well if it makes you feel better I always eat one before I use them.

OMG, I think I saw edible soap on a bizarre facts forum earlier this week, unless it was a dream. I will have to check the historyon my puter & get back with you on that!

pink-north said:
8) What kind of crayons did you use? I wonder if you could use 100% soy crayons? Any other natural colour suggestions. I was also trying to find a blue colourant and use palm oil which gives a nice yellow colour. Thanks for the suggestion

Crayola baby! Nuthin but the best :wink:

The gals are joking Irena &/or making it for personal use...no need to fret...

If I'm not mistaken, the "Queen Mom" of soap making, Kathy Miller, uses crayons to color soaps occasionally. I think I read that years ago when I was a newbie reading her site. I'll check. They are OK for kids to eat, so I would not have a problem using Crayola brand crayons. Checking, will report soon.

I found it! As quoted directly from Kathy's site:

"Color: Candle color works very well for soap when mixed into the fats before the lye solution is added (if it's wax based - melted first, separately, in a few tablespoons of the fat and then poured into the rest of the melted fat). You can find these at a hobby store or mail order them from companies such as Pourette. Some people use CRAYONS in the same way, but it takes more since they are rather dilute and you don't always get the end color you are expecting. Some experimentation might be in order. Generally I will suggest you use 1 to 3 regular crayons for the size of the recipes you will find on this site, depending on how strong a color you desire." END QUOTE

Paul.... :wink:

I just bought some concentrated chlorophyll (6% in distilled water) at the health food store to try in a batch this weekend. This natural green colorant was a suggestion in 'The Soapmaker's Companion'. I'll let you know how it works out, though I'm still trying to figure out how much to use, and just when in the process.

Tabitha said:
The gals are joking Irena &/or making it for personal use...no need to fret...

Ummm. I aint no gal. And yes I was mostly joking. Although I did use it and probably will again, I agree about the ingredient list. While I personaly don't have a problem with them I am not selling soap right now and when I do I will more than likely not use any crayons. (but may use some waxonified pigment cylinders)
You are right Paul that is exactly where I got the idea.

Natural chlorophyll, usually made from alfalfa, is a great colorant. You can get a great, dark green. I've used it to marble white CP soaps, mixing it with a little oil and adding to mold after pouring.

I haven't used it to make a solid green soap, you'd just have to experiment with how much you use for the depth of green you want.

I am really interested in how the cholorphyll will work. Do let us know. I am going to try the kelp powder next time. By the way, how much kelp powder should I use and when do I put it in the soap?

edco, you are male :oops: ? That is too cool. We can never have enough male soapers. Sorry for the faux-pau!

Tabitha said:
edco, you are male :oops: ? That is too cool. We can never have enough male soapers. Sorry for the faux-pau!

LOL No problem, I have noticed we seem to be in the minority around here :roll: I probably could have gotten a better user name here, most forums are so packed that I have resorted to using an abbreviation of my name Eddie Cook =edco, 76=year I was born. I guess maybe I should have put "Man" in my username like Paul did. :wink:

Back