Natural green colorants experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
So yesterday I made a small 250g batch divided into 5 soaps and colored with different colorants: wheetgrass, moringa, spirulina, matcha and pandan all 0,6g/50g of oil (which I think is about 2tsp ppo).
I've used wheatgrass and spritulina before so no big surprises there, but moringa, pandan and matcha were new.
The pandan turned out to be more of a juice than a puree. The soap separated after gel and it wasn't concentrated enough to give a good color. I tried to use a bit more in some leftover soap, but obviously that one separated even more (and it lost most of its color anyway) I want to try it as half of my water next time, because the color at trace was stunning and I've seen pretty pandan soap here: https://shopee.ph/Buco-Pandan-Soap-Bars-(vegan-organic)-i.51253087.1565796917
Moringa turned out to be just a bit darker than wheatgrass and speckled. I like it, but I think I still prefer either wheatgrass or spirulina at this point. Though I've got to say I'm totally in love with @Dawni's tumeric moringa soap so I might just have to give it another try.. maybe in the lye water or an infusion.
Matcha seems to need less powder to color soap than the rest of the colorants, I'm glad that one didn't mix in well, because otherwise I'd have all black soap[emoji23] the top has an ok olive green. 1tsp ppo might do the trick, though I've read someone doing a soap with matcha infusion and it looks stunning, so I might try that as well.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/infusionsblog.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/green-tea-soap/amp/

And... Here are the pics!
The spacing of the colorants in the pictures is the following:
Wheatgrass------------------Matcha
------------Moringa------------------
Pandan------------Spirulina---------

First up, the colorants:
IMG_20190601_204449.jpeg

Mixed in at trace (notice the leftover batter with lots of pandan in the second cavity from the left at the bottom)
IMG_20190601_212653.jpeg

Atfer gel (look at those alien brains!)
IMG_20190601_233452.jpeg

And the next morning:
IMG_20190602_114903.jpeg
IMG_20190602_114927.jpeg

I'll try to update on discoloration over time which was the goal of this experiment

Last edited:
I'm glad you like my soap :) You seem to have gotten a lot more color from the moringa than I've ever gotten, regardless of the amount of salt in my soap. But I also haven't tried it as an infusion or in the lye water....

So lemme see if I got this right... the deepest one, left most in the last pic is the spirulina, then wheatgrass, then moringa, and darkest one, right most is matcha?

Too bad about the pandan. I was looking forward to seeing what results you'd get. I love it in dessert lol now I have to add that to my list for HP as well hehehe

The deepest one is indeed spirulina. Then moringa and then wheetgrass (the lightest one). Matcha is the dark brownish soap and pandan the yellowish.

I'm definitely going to experiment more with pandan! I really think it could have potential, just not in this set-up. What usage rate did you use with moringa and did you gel or not? Might be important factors..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah then I switched moringa and wheatgrass. I'm really liking the color of your moringa soap! I like that shade of green...

Haha I'm glad you like it, but I was actually going for a lighter color like yours[emoji6] It's 100% CO with 20%SF. 1,2g moringa/100g soap or 2tsp ppo and went gelled in the oven.. I'm sure you'll be able to get the same color[emoji6]

Another try today:
-Pandan for half the liquid with lye water.
-Moringa powder dissolved in lye water (1,2% of weight of oils)
-Matcha infused in oils (1% of oil weight)
I split each batch in 2 and let half go through gel and half went in the fridge. Will update with pictures tomorrow

As promised, a longer write-up with pics..
From left to right: pandan, moringa and matcha (top=non-gel, bottom=gelled)

So first up is pandan. I was so excited to try this! I masterbatched my lye and added pandan as half of the liquid in a 2:1 lye concentration. The pandan turned brownish upon contact with the lye, but after mixing with oils (75% OO, 20%CO, 5% castor) it turned a lovely shade of pale green. Not yet what I had in mind, but better than the last try. I'd like to add a more concentrated paste to the batter at trace, but I'm not sure where to get it (my pandan is quite watery and the label says ingredients are pandan and water).

Then moringa.. I wanted to see how the color of the powder added to lye would compare to powder added at trace. It's quite similar, maybe a bit deeper color (so you'd be able to use less if you add it to the lye water). I really like the soft green of the ungelled soap. It wasn't ready to unmold this morning so it's still sitting in the plastic drinking cup I used as individual mold for the ungelled soap. Recipe: 75% SAO, 20% CO, 5% castor. Moringa (1,2% of oil weight) mixed in distilled water and added to masterbatch lye solution.

Last one: matcha. I wanted to try infused matcha, but didn't have a lot of time to infuse so I added matcha powder at 1% of total oil weight to my rice bran oil (75% of total), put it in the microwave for 2mins and let it steep for 15-20mins. The powder was too fine to sieve out, so I just left it in.. the soap at trace had the most wonderful matcha green color. The gelled soap turned brown in the oven but the ungelled soap looked wonderful when I went to bed.. and was also brown all around when I woke up this morning[emoji19] recipe: 75% RBO, 20% CO, 5% castor.

IMG_20190608_074339.jpeg

Pandan
IMG_20190607_212851.jpeg
IMG_20190607_213030.jpeg

Moringa
IMG_20190607_223627.jpeg
IMG_20190607_224622_1.jpeg

Matcha
IMG_20190607_224750_1.jpeg
IMG_20190607_224913_1.jpeg

Thought I'd just do a small update..
4 weeks into cure for the first batch, 3 weeks for the second batch.
In the 3x3 square left to right there's pandan, moringa and matcha; top to bottom colorants added to lye (ungelled), added to lye (gelled) and added to trace (gelled).
On the far right there's wheatgrass added to trace on top and spirulina added to trace below.
IMG_20190629_145802.jpeg

Pandan is not strong enough, so I think next time I'll use it for full water instead of half and see how that goes. It seems like the ungelled soap has a nicer, fresher color. The one where I tried to add the liquid at trace (and separated because of it) actually still smells like pandan. I really want to get my hands on some pandan leaves and add a puree at trace to see how that works out!
Moringa overall has a nice natural green color, though it looks a bit fresher (less brown) when added to the lye water compared to powder added at trace. With this one I like the color of the gelled soap better than the ungelled soap.
Matcha is still brown. Really need to make a proper infusion next time!
Wheatgrass is a little lighter than moringa and spirulina is still a pretty blueish green (this is my favorite soaping color), though I know from experience it'll turn regular green over time and then fade.. I have an idea for an experiment with spirulina soap exposured to light and/or air to see if the color can be preserved better with improved storage conditions. There's also thishttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359511312000268 article that said salt and sugar might help improve phycocyanin stability, so I also want to try if spirulina retains its color better when there's salt and/or sugar in the soap.
Lots of things to try and so little time.. [emoji26]

Thought I'd just do a small update..
4 weeks into cure for the first batch, 3 weeks for the second batch.
In the 3x3 square left to right there's pandan, moringa and matcha; top to bottom colorants added to lye (ungelled), added to lye (gelled) and added to trace (gelled).
On the far right there's wheatgrass added to trace on top and spirulina added to trace below.
View attachment 40004

Pandan is not strong enough, so I think next time I'll use it for full water instead of half and see how that goes. It seems like the ungelled soap has a nicer, fresher color. The one where I tried to add the liquid at trace (and separated because of it) actually still smells like pandan. I really want to get my hands on some pandan leaves and add a puree at trace to see how that works out!
Moringa overall has a nice natural green color, though it looks a bit fresher (less brown) when added to the lye water compared to powder added at trace. With this one I like the color of the gelled soap better than the ungelled soap.
Matcha is still brown. Really need to make a proper infusion next time!
Wheatgrass is a little lighter than moringa and spirulina is still a pretty blueish green (this is my favorite soaping color), though I know from experience it'll turn regular green over time and then fade.. I have an idea for an experiment with spirulina soap exposured to light and/or air to see if the color can be preserved better with improved storage conditions. There's also thishttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359511312000268 article that said salt and sugar might help improve phycocyanin stability, so I also want to try if spirulina retains its color better when there's salt and/or sugar in the soap.
Lots of things to try and so little time.. [emoji26]

Nice That would be great range of colors to work with for a swirled or layered soap. I added the Spirulina article to my collection!

P.S. does your soap that separated look anything like these? I think the batter may have separated and then overheated in the bottom layer of the mold. (But that’s just a guess and no one has offered up an opinion)

Thanks for the update @szaza :)

P.S. does your soap that separated look anything like these? I think the batter may have separated and then overheated in the bottom layer of the mold. (But that’s just a guess and no one has offered up an opinion)
Try posting it in a separate thread... A lot of us don't really go much into that thread, and I assume a lot of the experts don't at all anymore.

Not really, but maybe? I'm not sure.. here's a close up of the overheated/separated/stirred back together pandan soap (sorry, not very focussed, camera didn't want to work with me)
IMG_20190630_132735_1.jpeg
IMG_20190630_132751_1.jpeg

Following! Would love to learn if salt or sugar works for improving color stability in your soap colorants!
It might take a while!.. still don't have much soaping time at the moment[emoji6]

Update: now the first batch (different colors added at trace) has cured for 6weeks I decided to subject them to an experiment: I cut the soaps in 4 (not very equal) pieces and for the next few months I'll store them in 4 different conditions:
1. Exposed to light and air (sitting uncovered in the window sill, behind the curtain so I don't see them but they get full light)
2. Exposed to light but not air (wrapped in 2 plastic see-through baggies in the window sill)
3. Exposed to air, not light (in the basement where I normally cure my soaps, they only get light when I come in to check on them)
4. Exposed to neither light nor air (in a plastic baggie in a closed container in the basement)
Hopefully this will give some insight into what's the main culprit in the fading of natural green colors: light, air or both[emoji6]

Latest posts

Back