Natural Fragrances - pros and cons?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29721

IG: @truesoapgeek
Reaction score
Natural Fragrance Oils are plant-based scents using pure essential oils and aromatic isolates derived solely from natural, raw botanical sources. They are cheaper than Essential Oils but more expensive than Fragrance Oils. Have you tried them? Share your feedback! How much do you use PPO? Scent holds? Requires anchoring? Discoloration or any other tricks to consider? Or maybe you just want to try them, like myself?

I bought two Natural FOs from WSP - Rice Milk and Cardamom, and Tasmanian Pepperberry - but haven’t tried them yet. I’m interested in hearing if others like them.

I bought One from WPS too Neroli & Pistachio milk--I have used it in Lotion Bars and it smells awesome but is real thick--I contacted them and they said it was due to it being a natural scent. are yours thick too

I bought One from WPS too Neroli & Pistachio milk--I have used it in Lotion Bars and it smells awesome but is real thick--I contacted them and they said it was due to it being a natural scent. are yours thick too
They don’t look thick to me, but that’s only looking through the bottle. If I think differently when I use them, I will let you know.

The two soaps my family and friends like the best are these...
The blue is scented with star anise, peppermint, eucalyptus essential oils, and the other is scented with kunzea and lemon verbena essential oil...(trying to keep it to locally sourced EO's where possible)
I feel better knowing there's definitely no parabens, and nothing artificial in there, and the scent is probably stronger than the other artificial fragrances...and both were popular with men and women...
15698130195454708733150871663766.jpg 15698132520646218941997294592889.jpg
Cant say I have a lot of experience, but just included my 50cents worth in case it helps!

Sorry, realised you were asking about natural fragrance oils...and think I have used some...have included a picture to show you the brand I am familiar with.
They didnt discolour or seize any soaps, and definitely give you a wider range of fragrances. I liked that even tho they were expensive, being concentrated made them easier to store, and less likely to mess up the consistency of melt and pour. I did work out that no fragrance seems to be "better value for money" because of the amount you need to use to get your desired scent. I have probably been a bit cautious about adding too much scent so far, but as far as scent holding goes...seems as good as eo's and regular BB fo's15698148602832117766399443443757.jpg 15698141183799143653350665620310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The two soaps my family and friends like the best are these...
The blue is scented with star anise, peppermint, eucalyptus essential oils, and the other is scented with kunzea and lemon verbena essential oil...(trying to keep it to locally sourced EO's where possible)
I feel better knowing there's definitely no parabens, and nothing artificial in there, and the scent is probably stronger than the other artificial fragrances...and both were popular with men and women...
View attachment 41827 View attachment 41828
Cant say I have a lot of experience, but just included my 50cents worth in case it helps!

Sorry, realised you were asking about natural fragrance oils...and think I have used some...have included a picture to show you the brand I am familiar with.
They didnt discolour or seize any soaps, and definitely give you a wider range of fragrances. I liked that even tho they were expensive, being concentrated made them easier to store, and less likely to mess up the consistency of melt and pour. I did work out that no fragrance seems to be "better value for money" because of the amount you need to use to get your desired scent. I have probably been a bit cautious about adding too much scent so far, but as far as scent holding goes...seems as good as eo's and regular BB fo'sView attachment 41830 View attachment 41829

The photo you attached are of Fragrance Oils not Essential Oils. At least according to their site. The OP is asking about Natural Essential Oils.

The photo you attached are of Fragrance Oils not Essential Oils. At least according to their site. The OP is asking about Natural Essential Oils.
Actually, the OP is asking about “Natural Fragrance Oils” - mixtures that contain essential oils and other aromatic isolates from plants, i.e. are not pure EOs. See here for an example.

Natural Fragrance Oils

have you checked yours out yet hahaha--I am waiting hahaha. I cant wait to hear what you think--and the smells sound awesome, I love cardamom. if I am not mistaken the one I got said it might not last in CP. I don't know if it is cuz its considered a natural or not

I have used this one in a soap I made over a year ago. It is holding in soap very well.

was the consistency of it thicker?

I don't think I'd even try

that's what I was thinking--I am glad I only ordered small bottles cuz I obviously didn't do my research before ordering

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought two Natural FOs from WSP - Rice Milk and Cardamom, and Tasmanian Pepperberry - but haven’t tried them yet. I’m interested in hearing if others like them.
@Marilyn Norgart I used these natural FOs to make soap this past weekend. In both cases the recipe was 40% palm, I soaped at 115F to avoid stearic spots and used the FOs at just under 5%. The liquid is thicker than an EO, but I wouldn’t call it thick. Both made it through and smell nice in the finished soap. The scent intensity in my finished soap is moderate leaning towards the lighter side. The fragrance oils are not inexpensive, but I would buy them again for the right soap and especially now after reading that RM&C is sticking around For @amd

A bit late to the party, but FWIW: I used a very nice mango/passion fruit natural fragrance mix for a soap in the summer. It smelled great in the finished soap, but faded quite quickly (about 4 months later there is only a little hint of the fragrance left). I still like it though.

Latest posts

Back