Natural flavor in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To scent my cold process soaps I only am using essential oils, and not fragrance oils because I just don’t want to use fragrance oils. Has anyone tried using natural flavors? Essential oils are just expensive, don’t always work out, and are limited. The flavors I’m looking at ingredients are only: organic high oleic safflower oil, and organic orange oil (or lemon oil, cinnamon oil, etc.)
Would these work adding after trace like essential oils? Has anyone tried? To me it seems like they’d work since they’re just natural oils.

If it is 100% oil it should work (orange and lemon usually are) but some brands cut costs by adding alcohol. If it has alcohol your soap may seize.

Do your research though. Cinnamon has a low useage rate (burns the sensitive bits) while citrus doesn’t tend to stick well long term. When you do the math with appropriate useage rates you may find that you aren’t saving much by switching.

That’s all fragrances. You mentioned safflower oil, I don’t think that adds scent. (I don’t use safflower so I could be mistaken.) You can use any grocery store oil as long as you can find a SAP value. I get all my non-specialty oils from the grocery store and have yet to pick one up that isn’t in my preferred soap calc

An alternative, which I've ended up doing, is always add some EO, even if you use an FO too. I was going to be 'all natural' when I started out until I realised that EOs were too expensive, and nothing else that is natural will really 'stick' in soap over time.
So I use FOs now, but then always add some sweet orange EO, or may chang EO or lemongrass EO, etc - whoever is the most appropriate to compliment the FO. Those three I have listed are all reasonably priced EOs - and there are probably many others that you could use.

Do you mean to be using the flavored lip oils from for instance Loranne to scent your soap? Cost wise its super prohibitive, far more expensive then the E.O's I use, ounce for ounce, and I'm not even sure what is in the flavored oils.

To scent my cold process soaps I only am using essential oils, and not fragrance oils because I just don’t want to use fragrance oils. Has anyone tried using natural flavors? Essential oils are just expensive, don’t always work out, and are limited. The flavors I’m looking at ingredients are only: organic high oleic safflower oil, and organic orange oil (or lemon oil, cinnamon oil, etc.)
Would these work adding after trace like essential oils? Has anyone tried? To me it seems like they’d work since they’re just natural oils.

Flavor oils are way more expensive than most anything else. Plus there's no guarantee they will stick in soap. The lye monster does some strange things.

Latest posts

Back