Natural Emulsifier

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway ladies...it is just a different point of view:) i mean about keeping your creams in a cool place, using them while fresh, small batches, etc
What about grape seed extract?? Does it do the job as a preservative against mould, bacteria?
And what keeps the emulsification together if beeswax doesn't work. Mine ( the above mentioned recipe) also had water but apart from that is was great... At least to me ;)

GSE is an antioxidant not a preservative. Can extend the shelf life of oils. I add GSE or ROE to my oils when I receive them. I would not keep anything unpreserved more than 2-3 days and I certainly wouldn't sell it to anyone even with a warning on the label. Not worth the risk personally..

"...Mine ( the above mentioned recipe) also had water but apart from that is was great..."

Water weeping out of a lotion I've made would be a real failure in my book. I want my lotions to remain stable (and sanitary) for a reasonable length of time. It makes no sense to me to expect the "lotion fairies" and wishful thinking to keep my lotion nice.

Let's look at an example from a user's point of view. I want a light spreadable lotion to put on my legs and arms after showering. I formulate my recipe to have a 75% water phase and 25% oil phase, but I don't use an emulsifier -- just thickeners. The water phase in my lotion starts to weep out, and I just "pour it off" as the blogger suggests. Eventually my lotion may end up being 65% water phase and 35% oil phase. That is getting closer to a cream, and creams are hard to spread evenly on large portions of skin. That would be soooo not what I wanted in this lotion. That would be unacceptable to me, even if I didn't mind the awkward issue of tending to a weepy lotion. Ugh. I don't care to use a product like that and I certainly would never give or sell it to anyone else.

Olivem is the most natural I've found and I love it. Have been using it almost a year in several products with good results.

I have read that soap can act as an emulsifier, any thoughts on that?? The article just mentions it but doesn't elaborate on it.

I have read that soap can act as an emulsifier, any thoughts on that?? The article just mentions it but doesn't elaborate on it.

Soap IS an emulsifier, in that it combines with both oil and water (which is how it cleans us) but I think that the binding happens at a ratio of 1:1:1 oil:soap:water molecules, which might be part of the reason why it isn't used in lotions.

Yes, soap is an emulsifier within its limits. That's how soap can clean greasy clothes or dishes.

That's what I thought, but the article mentioned it as a something which can be used in creams and lotions which left me puzzled!

Reading back now I see that Isg has mentioned melted M&P soap for a bath melt. Can I actually use any of my CP soap for an emulsifier in a lotion? What are the limits DeeAnna? Also I have read on a facebook soap group some ladies using soy/ sunflower lecithin +xanthan or guar as emulsifiers. I can post the recipe/ ratio if someone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a number of websites and articles mentioned in this thread. You know what article or website you're talking about, but I honestly don't have a clue. Would you please just post a quote and a link to the info? That would be very helpful.

"...melted M&P soap for a bath melt. Can I actually use any of my CP soap for an emulsifier in a lotion?..."

I really don't think you can compare the two. M&P in a bath melt or scrub isn't doing the same job as an emulsifier in a liquid lotion. In a finished bath melt (or scrub) the M&P is not acting as an emulsifier. It is more of a filler that allows the bath melt to be a solid object. After the whole thing is dissolved in water, then, sure, the M&P does emulsify the oils with the water. But at that point, it's not a bath melt (or scrub) anymore -- it's a mixture of a lot of water with a bit of added oil and soap.

I think you're just going to have to try soap-as-emulsifier-in-lotion for yourself. I don't know the answer.

What I do know is I don't have much interest in trying the idea myself. It might it work. It might also seem that lye soap is more "natural" than a commercial emulsifier. The problem is the high pH of a lye soap is not something I want to add to a leave-on skin lotion. I want a lotion to soothe the skin, not irritate it. Soap as a wash-off product is one thing ... soap as a leave-on product is quite another.

Last edited:
You can use melted M&P soap as an emulsifier. I have a recipe for an emulsified salt scrub that uses melted M&P soap, Epsom salt and just a little almond oil.

I meant her post. Is this what you asked me for. The other website where I read it hasn't been mentioned in this group, cannot find it now but it doesn't give any info anyway, it just mentions it.

You can use melted M&P soap as an emulsifier. I have a recipe for an emulsified salt scrub that uses melted M&P soap, Epsom salt and just a little almond oil.

This is what I read here referring soap.

It doesn't let me quote for some reason:( but there is no actual link. The forum member Isg says that she has a recipe with melted m&p soap ina bath melt, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as lecithin as emulsifier, yes, it can work but only in combination with a co-emulsifier. If you use lecithin only, the emulsion will not be reliably stable.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2013/02/question-how-to-use-lecithin-as.html
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2013/11/weekend-wonderings-sucragel-lecithin.html

Xanthan gum or guar gum are not emulsifiers, meaning they do not do anything to help water and oil form a stable mixture. These gums can only provide thickening, so they are similar to beeswax, cetyl alcohol, or stearic acid.

That's fine -- thanks for the info. If all you are referring to is lsg's comment about M&P in bath melts, I think I've given you my best answer.

What you said was, "...the article mentioned it as a something which can be used in creams and lotions..."

There was nothing about this in lsg's post about this specific issue, so this phrase was really confusing me -- I didn't know where this thought was coming from.

Last edited:
I can't find that article that I came across yesterday but it doesn't give any additional info anyway, it just mentions it. Thank you for your answers and links!

"...I can't find that article that I came across yesterday..."

Oh, gosh, I hate it when that happens to me! :Kitten Love:

nyway, I hope what I shared is a little bit useful to you....

i would not recommend ever using xantham gum in any body product. it is slimy as hell. really nasty stuff. i use it in gluten-free baking. i have seen some body product recipes that have it, and it makes me shudder. just washing a spec of powder off my hands is like washing a handful of snot off.

Back