Natural colourants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
I am desperatley trying to find a natural red colourant for my CP soap. I was going to use beet root powder, but read that it fades in sunlight. Has anyone used this before and could shed some light on it. I'm trying to avoide using powdered oxides for my next project.

Is there a list or something of natural colorants? Because I have been looking for one and have yet to find one.

If anyone has one or knows of one please PM me, and if not maybe we should start compiling one! And make it a Sticky or something.

If you have access to them, you can infuse St. John's wort in oil and get red dye ( the crushed flowers work best but I'm not sure if they are blooming now). Or you can use madder root the same way; grind it up, infuse in oil, then strain. You can buy it for making your own oil paints here:

httphttp://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=455-22Bl

I did a big project college chemistry on natural dyes and I dye my own wool and fabric, so I know a little. Hope that helps!

Does the Madder root give a nice red or is more of a pink? Do you have any pictures of it in a CP soap (or fabric or wool for that matther)?

For other natural colorants, you can use:

cocoa powder
cinnamon
natural clays & muds (bentonite, pink kaolin, morroccan clay, french green clay, rose clay)
alkanet root for a purple color
spirulina for a nice green
alfalfa
annatto seed
seaweed
pureed carrots
coffees or teas
saffron
indigo root

I'm sure there are so much more I've left out.

pink-north said:
Do the clays leave have any effect on skin?

P.S. Do you use a preservative for your soap?

Clay might leave someone's skin dry, if it's dry to begin with.
No preservatives in soap are needed.

Irena

Has anyone ever used dried/powdered sage? I tried it two days ago in for a swirl soap I was experimenting with. The colour seems to be green (not so brown). I was wondering if sage is harsh on the skin or if it fades alot over time.

Back