natural coloring with spices...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beautiful

We've done some soaps with paprika infused olive oil and with chamomile and calendula infused olive oil. Paprika one is made of 40% infused olive oil, 40% palm oil and 20% coconut oil and it turned really orange. In the top part we added pink mica.
Chamomile and calendula one was made with 60% infused olive oil, 30% palm oil and 10% coconut oil and it turned nicely yellow.
We made infusions following these instructions:
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/07/color-soap-naturally-infusing-oil-with-herbs-and-spices/

Wow these are so beautiful,thank you for sharing!!! WOW!!!

Sorry It took so long to reply back to some of you I have been In some pretty bad pain lately from my chronic pain & fibromyalgia but
I just want to thank everyone for the help & pictures of their soaps. It means a lot that you all are so willing to help this newbie out and I hope one day I can give that back to a newbie & have wonderful pictures to share :)

Happy Mothers Day to all the wonderful moms in the group :)

I like to help as much as I can considering I'm new to soap making. I really learned a lot from this forum and want to give something in return :)

If you have a Mexican grocery near you, or a Mexican section in a market look for Achiote, or annatto in English, and use that in an oil infusion. Makes a lovely deep golden/ peach color. Achiote is also traditionally used as a insect repellent and sunscreen, so it's good for the skin too :)

If you have a Mexican grocery near you, or a Mexican section in a market look for Achiote, or annatto in English, and use that in an oil infusion. Makes a lovely deep golden/ peach color. Achiote is also traditionally used as a insect repellent and sunscreen, so it's good for the skin too :)

Yep! I found some at Walmart the other day!

DeeAnna that was me who did the rosehip powder in warm water and that is exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread. So I put some spanish paparika that I have in warm water just to see if will dilute. Looks like it will so I may give it a try this weekend on a small batch.

Unfortunately the paparka in warm water didn't work like the rosehip did. Still came out speckled with only a little bit of color. I added it at trace so maybe if it was added before the lye it may have worked. I'll try it this way another time.

Unfortunately the paparka in warm water didn't work like the rosehip did. Still came out speckled with only a little bit of color. I added it at trace so maybe if it was added before the lye it may have worked. I'll try it this way another time.

Paprika will speckle if if added as a powder at trace. A warm infusion (very easy) will create a beautiful orange color.

^^I mixed paprika with warm water and added it at trace and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't use enough or the water wasn't warm enough. Since I used spanish paprika it came out a soft speckled oatmeal color.

^^I mixed paprika with warm water and added it at trace and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't use enough or the water wasn't warm enough. Since I used spanish paprika it came out a soft speckled oatmeal color.

I think that three little fishes was referring to an oil infusion.

For paprika I do 1Tbsp to 1c water and boil it down so its concentratedand I used it at light trace and the color came out exactly as I wanted it, a light peachy color. I strained it thru a paper towel. Just givin my 2¢..

Since I last posted I infused paprika in OO for a couple of days, strained it, and used it as part of my soft oils and it came out a beautiful orange/peach color with no speckles. No fade yet either.

Did you gel or no gel? I meant to add that it May be best to not gel-mine did and the color morphed- but I still like how its turned out with my scents. But before gelling it was a brighter more gorgeous color.

Latest posts

Back