Quantcast

Natural coloring question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

selah925

Reaction score
I am wanting to try adding color or swirls to my soaps and only want to use natural colors. I read that carrots, tumeric, etc. are natural ways to color. My question is ... do these natural colors effect smell or have any adverse effects? Also, what are other natural choices? Thanks!

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
I brewed some strong green tea, which turned it a funky green.

Goat's milk turned a nice golden brown.

7053joanne

Reaction score
There are many different natural colors that you can find. I have not had any problems with them affecting the smell of the soap. I get almost all of my natural colorants from emporium naturals. Things you may be interested in include alkenet root (purple), maddar root (pink to red), annetto seed (yellow), nettle leaf (green) etc.

Good luck,
Joanne

G

I used 2tsp of tumeric for a swirl in a six pound batch. My swirling skills are a bit rusty, but it at least worked, making a nice orange swirl. The scent was Lemon Ginger and I can't smell the tumeric at all.

coral

Reaction score
I remember my first batch of soap I made and I used tumeric did not affect the smell in any way and gave me a great swirl. I still have a bar and still looks good.
Go ahead and experiment and you will soon find out what works for you and what does not with colourings.

selah925

Reaction score
Thanks! By the way, where can you get the tumeric? I am not even sure what it is. :wink:

G

Tumeric is a yellowish or yellow-orange spice. You get it at the supermarket.

G

We have a little bottle of tumeric that we got from the store for an outrageous amount of money and we have a 4oz jar that cost .80 cents from the bulk store.

Birdie

Reaction score
This chart has been around for quite some time and might be of help. (No one has found MMM but Cyndi saved the page! Thank you, Cyn!)

MissMaryMac

Be sure and follow the link to Suzanne's page to see the colors.
Just remember that some of these colors will fade and some rather quickly because of their "naturalness." Herbs, spices, and such are all I have ever used.

eta:sp