Natural colorants losing color fast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidi Kolkind

Reaction score
I was wondering how dark of a space does cold process soap need to be in so I don't lose my natural colorants like after a week off sitting on a drying rack turmeric has lost off of it color I've read I've read soap needs to be in a cool dark space away from sun light. So should I store my soap in a closet or will putting room darkening curtains on my room window be enough

I keep mine in the basement covered by a cloth until fully cured and then put them in cardboard boxes (similar smells together) I guess the less light the better.. some of my soaps lost almost all their color after a week in the window sill, while the ones that are in the basement are still colorful (though starting to fade as well, especially moringa which is turning brown) - these were all natural green colorants.
Hope this helps!

They need to be away from light but will need to be ventilated until cure is completed. I don’t use a lot of natural color ants for that reason. They tend to fade or discolor.

Turmeric is one of the worst faders, in my opinion, depending on how much you used of course.

Some others don't fade as quickly but it'll have to be trial and error coz suppliers and producers are different.

I don’t know about turmeric, but you can put the soaps in a covered cardboard box to cure as long as the box has holes for ventilation. I think it would be easier than adding new curtains.

Latest posts

Back