Natural Colorants - Alkanet Root - anyone use this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
Hello - I am just curious about this and wanted to see if anyone uses this? I really want to find some to use...

Any photos or info would be great! Thanks :) Cheers! RoRo

Hi, I have used Alkanet Root for my CP soaps... The thing with it is you really dont know exactly how it will turn out (with certain FO), and if you use too much (soap is very dark deep purple color) yet it makes a "dirty" bubble... So if you are trying it in MP then add like 1 tsp/mixed with 1 tsp of like caster oil or another oil when mixing.. I guess I would need to know if it is MP or CP you are doing.
Hope this helps.
Mickie

Hi Mickie - I was begining to think no one uses this to get the purple-ish tint... I would like to use it in CP, and try swirling it - not a ton of EO, just light lav. I saw it before and thought it made such pretty soap! :) Have a great night! roro (thanks for the reply too)

itsmeroro said:
Hello - I am just curious about this and wanted to see if anyone uses this? I really want to find some to use...

Any photos or info would be great! Thanks :) Cheers! RoRo
I have seen some beautiful soap colored with Alkanet. I have not been successful in getting those beautiful colors tho'. If you would like some PM me.
TAS

I have used alkanet pwder in my soap. I wish I coulod post a pic, by the camera is gone at the moment. I used it to swirl some cranberry soap that I gave out in the last swap. I thought it turned out quite nice. The colour was a rich brick red. Bearing in mind that I was swirling it with a palm oil soap which is yellow to begin with. I think this warrants some experimentation on your part, buy please do let us know.

I have use rattanjot as well, but still working experimenting.

Thank -- I almost wonder if this could be used in a recipe with cranberry juice - diluted somewhat -- what that would turn out like? hmm. :) roro

Latest posts

Back