Natural Colorant - Himalayan Rhubarb Root

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
rhubarb-soap-recipe-150x150.jpg

From Lovely Greens comes this awesome deep pink natural colorant:

HIMALAYAN RHUBARB ROOT TUTORIAL

Wonder how well it ages?
It ages as well as the soap would without the herbal infusion. 😉

IME, herbs as natural colorants don't fare as well as those with spices and clays. Check out the picture in this thread. It started out as a bright raspberry pink. The pic was taken a year after the soap was made. You can see a little yellowing here and there. That happens after some period of time so it's best to sell it off in the first few months. :thumbs:

Natural Colorant - Raspberry Pink CP

PS: @PepperJack I LUV questions I know the answer to. :nodding:

Last edited:

IME, herbs as natural colorants don't fare as well as those with spices and clays. Check out the picture in this thread. It started out as a bright raspberry pink. The pic was taken a year after the soap was made. You can see a little yellowing here and there. That happens after some period of time so it's best to sell it off in the first few months. :thumbs:

LOL 🤣😂👍🏼

So do I! Yes, that was exactly what I meant, I wonder how much the color fades. 😄

One of the ladies at my studio uses mainly natural ingredients to colour her soaps, she follows taiwanese soapmakers who are very into natural or herbal infusions. Her soap made with rhubarb infused oil darken as it cured.

She occasionally uses it for a second infusion and the resulting soap is a very pretty pink.

Attachments

• IMG-20220417-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220417-WA0002.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 19
One of the ladies at my studio uses mainly natural ingredients to colour her soaps, she follows taiwanese soapmakers who are very into natural or herbal infusions. Her soap made with rhubarb infused oil darken as it cured.

She occasionally uses it for a second infusion and the resulting soap is a very pretty pink.
Georgeous deep pink! What do you mean by the “second infusion”?

All plant colors will fade over time. Some faster than others just like flowers in a vase - some fade faster than others. Over the years some of mine have lasted 2 - 4 years or so.

Honestly I am not sure why soapers worry about fading after 6 months, it seems to be something that soapers are fixated on. Surely by 6 months including making and cure time you would want that soap sold so you can move on to making more! I dont see any reason for soapers to hang onto soap for a year or more unless its just a curiosity thing - then I understand it. If you make to sell you want to move the soap out so you can make a profit and if you make for yourself you won't care if the pink has gone lighter.

I keep mine so I can document them in my ebook but in reality I want them all sold so I can make and play with more soap!

This is a beautiful color achieved with Rhubarb root and yes if you reuse an oil infusion you can expect about a 50% reduction in the color that you achieve. To get around that you can infuse for a longer period of time AND use double the infusion you used the first time round :)

Back