Natural Caramel Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swaff

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a caramel cp or hp soap and would like to avoid using a fragrance oil.
I'm wondering if caramelized sugar will survive the soap making process and if so, will there be any scent from it in the finished bar.
Anyone experiment with this?

You might get a whiff of scent, but it would not be much.

Honey in soap gives me more of a caramel scent, but it can sure heat up your batter fast. It can also create honey spots in the soap unless you dissolve it in a bit of warm water before blending it into the oils.

You might get a whiff of scent, but it would not be much.

Honey in soap gives me more of a caramel scent, but it can sure heat up your batter fast. It can also create honey spots in the soap unless you dissolve it in a bit of warm water before blending it into the oils.
Dissolved in a little water, honey is a great way to go. One tsp PPO is a great start (and safer).

Advice per Irish Lass -- Dissolve the honey in warm water as mentioned, but then add the diluted honey to the LYE solution, not the oils. Letting the honey and lye react first will prevent heating problems in the soap batter later.

Table sugar contains different sugars than honey, but you can use this method for table sugar as well. Caramelized sugar will add color to the soap, but very little odor.

Advice per Irish Lass -- Dissolve the honey in warm water as mentioned, but then add the diluted honey to the LYE solution, not the oils. Letting the honey and lye react first will prevent heating problems in the soap batter later.

Table sugar contains different sugars than honey, but you can use this method for table sugar as well. Caramelized sugar will add color to the soap, but very little odor.
Yeah, honey soaps have an interesting smell to them vs sugar.

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Honey it is. We have hives on the farm so that's easy:)

Back