Natural Calendula Petals Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
One of my favorite infused oils for babies and sensitive skin is Calendula aka "Pot Marigold" petals infused in olive oil. I also use the oil in my MSM/Emu Oil Cream for arthritis. :thumbs:

Here's a pic and a recipe from Lovely Greens:
calendula-soap-recipe-1.jpg

CALENDULA - A NATURAL YELLOW TO ORANGE COLORED SOAP

I grew calendula last year and have been infusing some olive oil with the flower petals since January. I had yellow calendula - this summer I'm going to try to find some orange. The yellow doesn't really seem to be giving me much, if any, color. That's okay - it will still hopefully be lovely soap to use.

20200216_144542.jpg20200216_144611.jpg
I love calendula and use it as a tea with lye water, infused in oil and powdered calendula in the soap. From what I've read, they all have the same active constituent regardless of colour. I usually use the dried orange petals as they give a stronger color, but I will use them all ;)

I also use calendula petals but straight in the lye mixture while it's hot and left in the final soap. I find this gives a very acceptable light yellow colour. I have never tried orange petals as I have a truly vast bag of yellow petals to get through. I was rather surprised at how much you get for 500 grams!

You can put quite a lot of things straight into the lye. Paprika and madder root are two examples, but if you leave it in you'll get some scratchiness. I use a madder root tea seived out to avoid this. I've not tried paprika tea. I don't know if that would work. The calendula petals don't in my opinion, cause scratchiness in soap. I think I learnt this from the Lovely Greens website.

I know calendula and marigold are not the same flower but within the same family, so has anyone tried to use marigold petals for natural colour? Or is it purely calendula which you can effectively use?

Latest posts

Back