Natural Burnt Sienna Color Using Barberry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
I'm so excited -- finally a natural color that isn't yellow, orange or green. I've been experimenting with everything I can find on the farm. The barberry bushes have berries right now, no leaves just berries. The birds eat them throughout the winter so I grabbed some before the easy-to-reach ones were gone. The bushes have nasty thorns. Anyway, did a test batch a short while ago. I should have taken a pick of the bar before I covered it but I didn't. Here's a pick of the color on a paper towel -- bottom of screen is the color of lye water with barberry, and the paper towel with the spoon is the color of the soap. I sure hope it stays that color.
Barberry%20Color_zpsjs82vxxr.jpg

Here is a picture of the color (heart). The round bar is black walnut, highly concentrated. I don't recommend black walnut in high concentrations; it bleeds. It appears the barberry is color fast. I only made 2 bars to test my color -- I do a lot of different botanical tests at the same time. I'll try the barberry again using different concentrations. Another thing I noticed when putting the barberry in the lye water, it didn't smell bad. Most of the botanicals stink when I add them to the lye so that was a pleasant surprise.

Barberry_zpsr75knzlh.jpg

Back