Natural Blueberry Juice Transparent Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
One of my many experiments in making transparent soap (2004-2005) was to use the blueberry juice that I poured out of a package of frozen blueberries. I used the technique I found in the first soapmaking book I bought: Making Soaps & Scents by Catherine Bardey.

Basically, you make the soap. Let it cure for 2 weeks. Then grate it up and rebatch it with a "polyol mixture" of grain alcohol, glycerin and simple sugar syrup. I used the blueberry juice subbed for water to make the lye solution. After the rebatch, I had a lovely black transparent soap -- which looks more like a Root Beer shade in this picture. Sorry about that. But it really was black. ;)
Black Transprnt.jpg

@LisaBoBisa - As much as I like everything Amanda does, I would not recommend her formula for transparents due to high stearic acid carrying the load for making "soap". While obviously, clear, it just doesn't make as nice a soap as you would get by creating a formula of INS 165 or higher.

Bearchele's tutorial is much better. Her advice for a ratio of soap to solvents (40:60 or 50:50) is spot on. The amount of solvent varies with the oils used.

Here's another detailed tutorial that has 3 "normal" soap recipes as well as solvents:

Kristy's Transparent Soap Tutorial

ETA: I do not boil simple sugar syrup. Add sugar to water, stir to dissolve as much as possible and nuke for one minute. If it is clear, it's good to go. If it looks a little yellow, nuke for a few seconds more. Stir.

Do you have access to 190 proof alcohol? aka "Everclear"?

HAH! Look what I just found in my files! This may be a good starting recipe for you. It gives a good idea about the %s of the solvents used.

Make the soap CP -- Temps: 120-135°F

Add the polyol mix either after the 2-week cure or (HP) after trace and going into gel.

Rather than my microwave technique that is so scary it might cause cardiac arrest (just kidding!), you might want to take a look at Tellervo's "double boiler" technique -- that's what I would try. Fast forward to the 5:00 minute mark. :thumbs:

Just remember, the end result is truly watery. Push aside the film on top to add color and fragrance (optional). Stir gently and pour into pretty individual molds and stick in the freezer for an hour before unmolding.

Cure 3 months!!!

Attachments

• COPRA.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I do have some 190 proof everclear!

Whoah... 3 month cure? I'm comfortable making HP in a crock pot, but I really do want to try your cardiac-arrest-microwave technique!

OH my goodness--Thank you SO much for sharing your notes and ratios; I've gone through my recipes and found a couple already-made batches that should have a high enough INS to shred as is. Think it's a problem if soap's aged more than a couple months?

Do you use a salad shooter, or just shred soap by hand?

Do you have access to 190 proof alcohol? aka "Everclear"?

Not @Zany_in_CO , but neither illiterate in M&P conversion of CP soap. 🤓

I like putting the soap shreds (manual cheese grater) and polyol mix into jars, let them “soak” for a day, and then place them, with lid on, in a pot with boiling hot water. Occasionally open the lids to release pressue, but you have a water-bath melting without loss of volatiles (alcohol, water) and a more controlled process even at small batches.

Not all soaps work well for this. “Hard” recipes (high “hardness” number, comparatively low “conditioning” number) give better M&P with good clarity, viable hardness at room temperature, and a sharp melting point. High-oleic recipes are very viscous when liquid, and don't become quite hard when cooled down.

Whoah... 3 month cure? I'm comfortable making HP in a crock pot, but I really do want to try your cardiac-arrest-microwave technique!
Yeah, I hear ya! 😆 Try the "safe" way first with any of the other techniques that appeals to you. Once you've done that, we should start a new thread. Patience, Grasshopper.
Do you use a salad shooter, or just shred soap by hand?
I use a hand-me-down Presto Salad Shooter gifted to me from another soaper who bought a new one. It's worth it if you plan on doing a lot of shredding... which I still do. I rebatched so often when I first started soaping that I got stuck with the monniker, "Queen of the Rebatch". :p

Here's one I did with a 60 oz. oils batch. Made 82 oz. shreds.

Pink Rebatch.JPG
82 oz shreads.JPG

Think it's a problem if soap's aged more than a couple months?
No, as long as you are able to shred the soap up it should be fine. I have taught others this technique for rebatching old soap. Using their own formulas often resulted in less transparency, but still nice.

Last edited:
OK! Picked up a thrift store salad shooter yesterday, and shredded an existing batch today. It's hanging out in a glass container with polyols now, so I'll try a mix of both your techniques. @Zany_in_CO, before I monkey with your recipe--did you use 18.3% castor oil for lather, or is there another benefit? (Some people say it has solvent properties, but I haven't been able to check that.)

Picked up a thrift store salad shooter yesterday,
Great score! :dance:

did you use 18.3% castor oil for lather, or is there another benefit?
:oops: I actually haven't made that recipe. It is one of 8 from Failor's book on making transparent soap that I intended to try but never did. Note the date... 2005!!! That's about how long it's been since I made transparents.

GOOD LUCK!

Great score! :dance:

Right?!? I've been eyeing it for awhile... glad no one else realized it was so useful!

:oops: I actually haven't made that recipe. It is one of 8 from Failor's book on making transparent soap that I intended to try but never did. Note the date... 2005!!! That's about how long it's been since I made transparents.

GOOD LUCK!

Then I'll monkey away! Thank you guys for all your help! (I'll start a new thread after this if it goes anywhere)

Latest posts

Back