Quantcast

Narrowing Soap Ings

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Iluminameluna

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
164
Reaction score
130
I'm closing in to a good soap recipe but I'm now having an issue.

Here's what I'm wanting to try:

OO 50%
Palm/soy oil 20%
CO76 10%
Palm, hydro 20%

SF: 5%
Water: lye 2:1
Maybe some honey for added suds.

Here's my issue: The palm/soy combo is a local veg oil that's 70/30 palm and soy. The other palm is a solid shortening that's about 95% palm, 5% beef tallow.
Now, I know to just use palm oil SAP value for the shortening, but how am I supposed to figure out the differing amounts in a recipe for those 2 versions of palm oil?!

ANY and ALL help appreciated!
 

Steve85569

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
1,908
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North East Oregon, USA
From your example using 20% Palm/soy:

20x.7 (for the palm) is your percentage for the Palm SAP.
I would use 14% for the PALM portion in the recipe...
20x.3 (for the soy) is your percentage for the Soy SAP.
I would use 6% for the soy portion in the recipe.

Math check: 14 + 6 = 20.
I would use them as separate oils and enter the two different percentages just calculated.
 

Iluminameluna

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
164
Reaction score
130
From your example using 20% Palm/soy:

20x.7 (for the palm) is your percentage for the Palm SAP.
I would use 14% for the PALM portion in the recipe...

20x.3 (for the soy) is your percentage for the Soy SAP.
I would use 6% for the soy portion in the recipe.

Math check: 14 + 6 = 20.
I would use them as separate oils and enter the two different percentages just calculated.
Ok, to see if I understood you, @Steve85569, I'd use the 14% +20% for the 2 "portions" of palm, and the 6% of soy separately?

@dixiedragon Not for labeling purposes but for actual oil amounts since I have 2 sources of palm oil.

Thanks for helping!
 

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 25, 2017
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
2,113
Location
Australia
Original recipe:
OO 50%
Palm/soy oil 20%
CO76 10%
Palm, hydro 20%

Calculations:
20% Palm/Soy (70/30 blend)
20% Palm/Tallow (95/5 blend)

Palm is:
70% of 20%, or 14%, (from Palm/Soy) plus
95% of 20%, or 19% (from Palm/Tallow)
14% plus 19% totals 33%

Soy is 30% of 20%, or 6% (from Palm/Soy)

Tallow is 5% of 20%, or 1% (from Palm/Tallow)

Revised Recipe:
50% OO
33% Palm
10% CO76
6% Soy
1% Tallow

Edited to add:
Ok, to see if I understood you, @Steve85569, I'd use the 14% +20% for the 2 "portions" of palm, and the 6% of soy separately?
You are correct in your understanding of Steve's answer - if you are only going to calculate out the palm/soy oil, then you would add them as separate ingredients in the calculator, with Palm at 34% (which is Steve's calculated 14% plus your choice to use the Palm SAP at 20% for the palm/tallow blend) and Soy at 6%.

On using the Palm SAP for your Palm/Tallow blend - The difference in the SAP values of Palm and Tallow is very slight, and in favour of adding a tiny bit of extra superfat to your recipe. Given the small proportion of Tallow in this blend you will not have any trouble using the figures given to you by Steve in combination with your thought to use the Palm SAP value for the other blend.

So the (Steve + Palm for blend) recipe is:
50% OO
34% Palm
10% CO76
6% Soy

Hmmmm. That reads like the recipe includes Steve ... sorry Steve :D
(Happy Halloween)
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top